Wolves' Win Streak Ends in OT to Grand Rapids
GRAND RAPIDS, MI---The Wolves struck first blood but it was the Grand Rapids Griffins with the last laugh, shutting the door on Chicago with a 2-1 overtime victory Saturday night at Van Andel Arena.
Goaltender Matt Climie (6-8-0) stopped 26 of 28 shots for the Wolves (13-9-3-1). The loss ended the Wolves four-game win streak.
Left wing Darren Archibald was the lone goal scorer for Chicago. Since joining Chicago from the East Coast Hockey League's Kalamazoo Wings in late November, Archibald has had success finding mesh on the power play and got right back to it against the Griffins.
After a scoreless first and second period, Archibald finally lit the lamp while the Wolves had the man advantage, rifling his third power play goal of the season past Griffins goalie Tom McCollum at 2:43 of the third.
Grand Rapids (16-9-1-1) answered Archibald on their own power play when center Landon Ferraro tipped a puck around Climie to even the score at 12:26.
Sixty minutes wasn't enough to settle things, and the game proceeded to the extra frame. Halfway through, Griffins defenseman Brian Lashoff took a cross-ice feed and rocketed a puck past Climie to give Grand Rapids the victory.
The Wolves will break for the holidays and return to the ice when they visit the Rockford IceHogs at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 27.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 22, 2012
- Rockford Defeat Heat 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Mount 3-2 Comeback Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Etem Plays the Hero as Admirals Vanquish Devils - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers fall to Phantoms - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lashoff Lifts Griffins to O.T. Win over Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Take Three-Game Win Streak into Holiday Break - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Penguins 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Win Saturday Night Special - Manchester Monarchs
- John Hynes Becomes Penguins' All-Time Wins Leader - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Enter Holiday Break with Win over Crunch - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Grind out 3rd Straight Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Rampage Charge by Bulldogs 5-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Exact Revenge on Stars 6-2 - Texas Stars
- Providence wins over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Mcelhinney Sets Franchise Record With Sixth Shutout - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Rebound against Amerks, 5-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Monsters Beat Houston Aeros 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Bears Blanked by Falcons - Hershey Bears
- Wolves' Win Streak Ends in OT to Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Head into Holiday Break with 5-1 Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Defeat Whale 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Marlies Drop IceCaps for Eighth Win in Ten Games - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Can't Catch Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Hogs Host Heat for First Meeting this Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Slip by IceHogs 2-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Forward Darren Kramer Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Hershey, Game #27 - Springfield Falcons
- Houston Aeros Recall Caron and Petersen from Orlando - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.