Hogs Mount 3-2 Comeback Win
Rockford, Ill. - Going up against the stingiest defense in the American Hockey League on Saturday night, the Rockford IceHogs came back from a two-goal deficit to defeat the Abbotsford Heat 3-2 at the BMO Harris Bank Center.
Entering Saturday's contest, Abbotsford had given up a league-low 58 goals on the campaign, a 2.07 goals against average, and the IceHogs were facing the AHL's second-best goaltender in Danny Taylor, who gives up an average of just 1.93 goals per game.
A couple of Krys Kolanos goals in the first period put the Heat up 2-0 nearing the end of the first frame, but the Hogs tallied at the 18:36 mark when Carter Hutton passed to Nick Leddy who found Ben Smith streaking into the Abbotsford zone. Smith found the puck and finished upstairs, over Taylor's left shoulder to bring the score to 2-1.
After a blank second period on both sides, Rockford found a spark 7:33 into the final stanza. Marcus Kruger hit Nick Leddy, who skated through the middle of the Abbotsford defensive zone and tied the contest at two apiece with his third lamp lighter on the year.
Less than five minutes later, with the puck behind the Abbotsford net, Brandon Saad passed to Brett Lebda at the blue line. Lebda found Brandon Pirri in front of the net, and he ripped a shot over Taylor's left shoulder to put the Hogs out in front 3-2.
Rockford was able to hang on the rest of the way to hand Abbotsford their third loss in a row, all against Midwest divisional opponents, while Rockford earned their 15th victory to keep pace in the tight Midwest race.
Hutton turned away 31 Abbotsford shots to pick up his 11th win on the campaign.
Next Home Game: Puck drops at 7:05 p.m. as the Hogs play host to the Chicago Wolves in an Illinois Lottery Cup matchup and for the sixth time on the campaign. Rockford holds a 1-3-0-1 record thus far against their divisional rival.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 22, 2012
- Rockford Defeat Heat 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Mount 3-2 Comeback Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Etem Plays the Hero as Admirals Vanquish Devils - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers fall to Phantoms - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lashoff Lifts Griffins to O.T. Win over Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Take Three-Game Win Streak into Holiday Break - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Penguins 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Win Saturday Night Special - Manchester Monarchs
- John Hynes Becomes Penguins' All-Time Wins Leader - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Enter Holiday Break with Win over Crunch - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Grind out 3rd Straight Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Rampage Charge by Bulldogs 5-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Exact Revenge on Stars 6-2 - Texas Stars
- Providence wins over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Mcelhinney Sets Franchise Record With Sixth Shutout - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Rebound against Amerks, 5-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Monsters Beat Houston Aeros 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Bears Blanked by Falcons - Hershey Bears
- Wolves' Win Streak Ends in OT to Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Head into Holiday Break with 5-1 Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Defeat Whale 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Marlies Drop IceCaps for Eighth Win in Ten Games - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Can't Catch Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Hogs Host Heat for First Meeting this Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Slip by IceHogs 2-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Forward Darren Kramer Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Hershey, Game #27 - Springfield Falcons
- Houston Aeros Recall Caron and Petersen from Orlando - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.