Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Hershey, Game #27
Springfield Falcons (15-6-2-3) at Hershey Bears (14-12-1-1)
Saturday, December 22, 2012
RADIO: WHYN NewsTalk 560 AM/WHYN.com
IN JUST A FEW HOURS...
The Springfield Falcons close out the weekend tonight when they take on the Hershey Bears at 7:00 p.m. at the Giant Center before heading into the Christmas break. The Falcons dropped a 3-2 decision earlier this week in Portland, leading the Pirates 2-1 in the third period before conceding a pair of late goals in the loss. Springfield heads to Chocolate Town for the only time in 2012-2013 and closes out the season series with Hershey tonight. The Falcons succumbed to the Bears in a seven-round shootout on Nov. 2 at the MassMutual Center, 3-2. Springfield is 14-19-8 all-time versus Hershey. The Falcons' lead in the Northeast Division is six points over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers entering tonight's action.
Coverage of tonight's game starts at 6:45 p.m. on WHYN 560 AM, WHYN.com, the iHeartRadio App, or AHLLive.com.
The Falcons return home for three games next week, welcoming the Albany Devils to town on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. before hosting the Connecticut Whale on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. and the Norfolk Admirals on Sunday at 5:00 p.m.
Single-game tickets to see the Falcons in 2012-2013 can be purchased at the MassMutual Center Box Office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. through game time on Saturday home dates, and starting four hours prior to Sunday home contests. Fans can also purchase tickets by logging onto Ticketmaster.com. For information about discounted group packages to Falcons home games, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
CAM REACHES CLOUD NINE
Cam Atkinson had an assist on Ryan Johansen's first-period goal on Wednesday to extend his point streak to nine games (7g-7a). Atkinson has the longest current point streak in the league and the lengthiest by a Falcon in 2012-2013. His nine-game point streak is three games shy of Syracuse's Richard Panik's 12-game point streak from Nov. 2 to Dec. 1, the longest in the AHL this season. The longest point streak in Falcons history is 14 games, set by John LeBlanc in the club's first season of 1994-1995. Atkinson and Nick Drazenovic each have points in eight-straight road games. Syracuse's Ondrej Palat (Oct. 12 to Nov. 24) and Peoria's Jaden Schwartz (Nov. 14 to Dec. 20) share the longest road point streak in the league this season of nine games. Atkinson became the third AHL player to reach 30 points on Wednesday and remains third in the league in that category. His 15 goals are also the most by a Falcon and are third in the AHL as well.
SAVARD SHINES IN DEFEAT
David Savard registered his third goal of the season and his first since Nov. 23 in Portland, along with his 20th point of the year in the first period on Wednesday. Savard's 20 points put him eighth among AHL defensemen while his 17 assists place him into a tie for third.
Ryan Johansen notched his career-high 10th goal on Wednesday and trails only Cam Atkinson for the team lead in that department. Johansen has points in six of the last seven games, accounting for eight (4g-4a) of his 21 points during that stretch.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 22, 2012
- Rockford Defeat Heat 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Mount 3-2 Comeback Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Etem Plays the Hero as Admirals Vanquish Devils - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers fall to Phantoms - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lashoff Lifts Griffins to O.T. Win over Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Take Three-Game Win Streak into Holiday Break - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Penguins 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Win Saturday Night Special - Manchester Monarchs
- John Hynes Becomes Penguins' All-Time Wins Leader - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Enter Holiday Break with Win over Crunch - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Grind out 3rd Straight Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Rampage Charge by Bulldogs 5-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Exact Revenge on Stars 6-2 - Texas Stars
- Providence wins over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Mcelhinney Sets Franchise Record With Sixth Shutout - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Rebound against Amerks, 5-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Monsters Beat Houston Aeros 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Bears Blanked by Falcons - Hershey Bears
- Wolves' Win Streak Ends in OT to Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Head into Holiday Break with 5-1 Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Defeat Whale 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Marlies Drop IceCaps for Eighth Win in Ten Games - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Can't Catch Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Hogs Host Heat for First Meeting this Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Slip by IceHogs 2-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Forward Darren Kramer Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Hershey, Game #27 - Springfield Falcons
- Houston Aeros Recall Caron and Petersen from Orlando - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.