Bad Breaks Haunt Jacks in 5-1 Loss
N. RICHLAND HILLS, TX - The Texas Brahmas (25-15-5) used a couple bounces to generate a five-goal outburst en route to a 5-1 win over the Odessa Jackalopes (20-24-6) on Friday night at the Nytex Sports Centre. For Odessa, it was their fourth straight game without a win, and leaves them with just one lone victory in their last 11 contests the Brahmas are winners in five of their last six.
Brahmas goaltender, Wayne Savage continued to provide headaches for the Jackalopes with 34 saves in the win. On the year now, Savage is 3-0-0 in four appearances against Odessa with a 1.35 GAA and a .961 SV%.
The key play of the game came with three minutes remaining in the second period when Chad Woollard's slap shot from the top of the right circle gave Texas a 3-0 lead. Woollard's goal come off a rush that was generated by Mike Lesperance hitting the post just seconds earlier for Odessa.
Greg Hogeboom opened up the game's scoring with the first period's only goal at 6:52 on the power play. Hogeboom was given an easy wrap-around effort as a crowd in front of the net forced starting goaltender Michel Robinson to lose sight of the puck.
Jason Deitch made it 2-0, Texas with a man-advantage tally 3:15 into period two. Woollard's shot from the right point was wide of the net but bounced off the boards and clean onto the stick of Deitch in the left circle as he converted another open net attempt for Texas.
In the third period Tyler Allen scored for Texas and Hogeboom added his second of the game also. Mike Ramsay put an end to Wayne Savage's shutout bid with a power play goal for the Jacks midway through the final frame.
The loss for Odessa, coupled with Rio Grande Valley's win, drops the Jackalopes to seventh in the CHL's Berry Conference.
The Jackalopes return home for a weekend set against the Arizona Sundogs starting next Friday at 7:05 PM CST. The weekend set is also the team's third-annual "Legends Weekend" celebration with former players returning for both games.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
Follow the Jackalopes all year long on Facebook and Twitter -- Twitter.com/ODEJackalopes.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2011
- Battochio Leads Rush to Twelfth Straight Win, 3-1 over Missouri - Rapid City Rush
- 'Dogs Salvage Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Total Team Effort Leads Eagles to OT Win Over Sundogs - Colorado Eagles
- Komets Double-Up Gems 6-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Bad Breaks Haunt Jacks in 5-1 Loss - Odessa Jackalopes
- Kaufmann Pitches Shutout, Bees Beat Laredo 4-0 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Brahmas Win Fourth Straight 5-1 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Bucks Shutout By Bees, 4-0 - Laredo Bucks
- Allen Salvages 1-point In 3-2 OT Loss To 'Bugs - Allen Americans
- Mavs Stumble Against Rush, Lose 3-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Giosa, Mallards Come from Behind for Overtime Win - Quad City Mallards
- PrairieThunder Loses in Overtime - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Another Two-Game RiverKings' Win Streak Halted - Mississippi RiverKings
- Gems rocked by Fort Wayne in 6-3 loss - Dayton Gems
- Bennefield, Thunder Top Kings - Wichita Thunder
- Mudbugs Announce "Bugs 4 Jugs" 5K Walk - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Brown Called up to AHL's Toronto Marlies - Quad City Mallards
- Dayton Gems and Destiny Salon and Spa to host Ladies' Night - Dayton Gems
- Game Day - RiverKings at Wichita - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.