Austin Outlasts Birmingham in 124-120 Win
AUSTIN - The Austin Spurs returned home with a thrilling 124-120 win against the Birmingham Squadron at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park on Friday night.
Javante McCoy and Kaleb Johnson both notched 22 points, Johnson going 9-of-11 from the field while McCoy went 6-of-11 from the field. Erik Stevenson tallied 18 points and 5 rebounds. Yauhen Massalski and Paul Watson Jr. contributed 13 points each.
Both teams traded buckets in the first quarter, but the Spurs outscored the Squadron by two, 30-28. Birmingham answered back with a 10-2 run late in the second quarter to put them up by 12 at the end of the first half, 64-52. The Squadron continued the momentum in the third quarter to lead by as many as 16 points, but the Spurs were able to cut the deficit down to five to trail, 94-87 going into the fourth quarter. The final frame featured four ties and one lead change credited to Spurs forward David Shriver, who hit a floater with 5:22 remaining that fueled Austin to stay ahead. The Squadron would come within one with six seconds left, but McCoy's layup and free throw in the final seconds sealed the win for the Spurs.
Dereon Seabron led Birmingham with 35 points, going 13-of-22 from the field. Malcolm Hill scored 23 points while Landers Nolley II added 21 points for the Squadron.
The Spurs will travel to Mexico City to take on the Capitanes on Sunday, Dec. 3, at the Arena CDMX at 4 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 1, 2023
- Austin Outlasts Birmingham in 124-120 Win - Austin Spurs
- Vipers Edge Capitanes in Fourth Quarter to Capture Victory - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Birmingham Drops First Contest of Three-Game Road Trip, 124-120 - Birmingham Squadron
- Stars Drop Game Against Lakers 138-123 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Force Sweeps Road Trip with 113-109 Victory Over Charge - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Charge Stopped at Home - Cleveland Charge
- Herd Drives Past Motor City - Wisconsin Herd
- Raptors 905 Earn First Victory of the Season - Raptors 905
- Game Preview: Skyforce at Charge - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Celtics Lose Lead, Fall to Raptors 905 - Maine Celtics
- Skyhawks Drop Tight Contest to Knicks on Education Day Presented by Caresource - College Park Skyhawks
- Two Peas in a Pod - Cleveland Charge
- Stockton Kings Announce Giving Through Annual Season of Doing Good - Stockton Kings
- Hustle Fall to Magic in Osceola - Memphis Hustle
- Capitanes Force Win Over Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Magic Remain Undefeated at Home - Osceola Magic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Spurs Stories
- Paul Watson's 44 Points Lead Austin to 131-126 Victory over South Bay
- Austin Spurs Host 2024 Central Texas High School All-Star Game on March 14
- Raiquan Gray Selected to Participate in USA Basketball's Americup Qualifying Games
- Austin Sweeps Stockton in 105-103 Win
- Spurs Claim Win Over Kings In Front Of 4,682 Fans In Laredo