Austin FC Begins Stocking Roster with Lima, Sweat, Cascante, Gallagher and Segura
Austin, Texas - Austin FC, the 27th Club in Major League Soccer (MLS), announced today five (5) separate trades in conjunction with Major League Soccer's Half-Day Trade Window occurring on Sunday December 13. Following a League-mandated 45-day roster freeze, Austin FC acquired defenders Nick Lima, Ben Sweat and Julio Cascante from the San Jose Earthquakes, Inter Miami CF and Portland Timbers, respectively, as well as midfielder Ulises Segura from D.C. United and forward Jon Gallagher from Atlanta United. The newest members of Austin FC are now scheduled to formally join the Club when the 2021 MLS preseason begins in preparation for Austin FC's inaugural MLS season.
"We are excited to add five (5) new players familiar with MLS to our roster," commented Austin FC Sporting Director Claudio Reyna. "We would like to welcome Nick, Ben, Julio, Ulises, and Jon to the Club. We're pleased with the progress we are making to shape our squad and the opportunity to continue this progress with the Expansion Draft next week."
San Jose Earthquakes defender Nick Lima (pronounced "lee-mah") was acquired in a deal which sees Austin FC exchange $500,000 of General Allocation Money for the San Jose Homegrown fullback. Lima featured in 105 appearances with the Quakes across all competitions, registering seven (7) goals and seven (7) assists between the 2017-20 seasons.
Internationally, the Castro Valley, Calif., native has earned nine (9) caps (six (6) starts) and contributed three (3) assists with the U.S. Men's National Team, including appearances in Concacaf Gold Cup and Concacaf Nations League. A product of the Quakes Academy, Lima played four (4) years of college soccer at the University of California, Berkeley.
"It's an honor to be a part of Austin FC at its foundation to build something special with this organization and community," commented Lima. "I couldn't be more excited to represent this city and team to the best of my ability come our inaugural season."
Austin FC also traded $100,000 in General Allocation Money to Inter Miami CF in exchange for the right to sign 29-year-old defender Ben Sweat. Sweat (pronounced "swett") played in 23 matches (20 starts) and added two (2) assists during the 2020 season with the MLS expansion side. Before joining Miami as the first overall pick in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft, Sweat spent three (3) seasons anchoring New York City FC's backline (2017-19), featuring in 81 matches (71 starts) across all competitions and scoring one (1) goal while tallying nine (9) assists.
Prior to New York City FC, the Palm Harbor, Fla. native, spent the 2015-16 seasons playing for the Tampa Bay Rowdies in the NASL, registering 34 caps (34 starts) across all competitions. In 2014, Sweat made seven (7) starts for 3-USL Pro side and Columbus Crew SC affiliate Dayton Dutch Lions. The 6-foot-2 left back was drafted by Columbus in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft.
Sweat has earned two (2) U.S. Men's National Team caps, appearing in friendlies against Colombia and Peru.
"I am thrilled join Austin FC for the 2021 season. It's a huge opportunity for me to utilize my experience and help the Club be successful in its inaugural season" commented Sweat. "Austin is an awesome city, and I am looking forward to competing in front of a great fan base as well."
Additionally, Austin FC picked up Costa Rican central defender Julio Cascante (pronounced "kas-CAHN-tay") during the Half-Day Trade Window. The native of Puerto Limón, Costa Rica, was acquired from Portland Timbers in exchange for $250,000 of General Allocation Money.
Cascante, 27, spent the last three (3) seasons with the Timbers (2018-20), scoring two (2) goals and adding two (2) assists in 51 matches (41 starts) across all competitions, and was crowned Champion of the MLS is Back Tournament in 2020. Before joining MLS, Cascante played for Costa Rican side Deportivo Saprissa during the 2017-18 seasons and made 59 appearances (49 starts), including five (5) appearances (three (3) starts) in the Concacaf Champions League, while ranking among the team leaders in goals scored (9). Alongside Costa Rican and new Austin FC teammate Ulises Segura, the central defender helped Saprissa capture its 33rd Primera Division title, after winning the 2016/17 Torneo de Invierno.
Prior to joining Saprissa, Cascante spent three (3) seasons (2013-16) with Costa Rican first-division Club C.F. Universidad de Costa Rica, making 42 appearances (37 starts). Cascante made his professional debut in 2011 with Primera Division side Orión FC. At the international level, he has earned one (1) cap for the Costa Rica National Team, making a substitute appearance in a friendly against Nicaragua on Dec. 15, 2015. Cascante was also teammates with Segura in the Costa Rica U-22 squad that participated in the 2015 World Youth Festival where he made three (3) appearances (three (3) starts). He also made three (3) appearances (three (3) starts) with the Costa Rica U-23 team in the 2015 Concacaf Olympic Qualifying Tournament.
"Words can't explain how happy and excited my family and I are right now to move to Austin and start this new adventure, this new challenge in my career", commented Cascante. "I can't wait to start training, to get to know my teammates, the medical and coaching staff. Most importantly, I can't wait to meet our fans to start building new relationships with all of them."
Austin FC also traded $175,000 of General Allocation Money for Atlanta United forward Jon Gallagher, who was part of the 2018 MLS Cup winning roster during his tenure in Atlanta from 2018-20, making 16 regular season appearances (11 starts) and scoring four (4) goals. In 2019, Gallagher (pronounced "GAL-uh-her") started eight (8) matches and added one (1) goal and one (1) assist for Atlanta United 2 (USL) before being loaned to Scottish Premiership side Aberdeen FC, where he earned 31 caps and contributed one (1) goal and three (3) assists across all competitions in 2019-20. Gallagher played and started all six (6) Europa League Qualifying matches for Aberdeen FC in 2019, where he produced three (3) assists.
Atlanta United's No. 14 pick in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft, Gallagher played 29 matches for Atlanta United 2 (26 starts), leading the team in goals scored with six (6) and adding five (5) assists during the 2018 USL season. The Dundalk, Ireland native was drafted from Notre Dame after a decorated collegiate career, tallying 39 goals and 15 assists in 84 matches played, earning two All-ACC selections and a mention in the College Soccer News All-America Second Team and NSCAA All-South Region Second Team (2016).
"Not many people get to be part of an inaugural season, so I am honored to help bring soccer to Austin," mentioned Gallagher. "Can't wait to meet the fans and the city."
Ulises Segura (pronounced "Se-GU-rah") was acquired via trade with D.C. United in exchange for $150,000 of General Allocation Money. Segura spent the last three (3) seasons (2018-20) with D.C. United, making 70 appearances across all competitions and contributing five (5) goals and five (5) assists. Prior to joining D.C. United, Segura, 27, helped Costa Rican side Deportivo Saprissa win two (2) consecutive Torneo de Invierno Championships (2015-16, 2016-17) and spent one (1) season with Club Sport Uruguay de Coronado (2014-15).
The Guadalupe, Costa Rica, native rose through the Deportivo Saprissa youth system, making his professional debut with "Los Morados" in 2014 and winning one (1) Torneo de Verano title (2013-14). At the international level, Segura has made 10 appearances for the Costa Rica National Team, including two (2) Concacaf Nation Leagues appearances and one (1) Concacaf Gold Cup cap. Additionally, he made four (4) appearances (two (2) starts) for the Costa Rica U-22 squad in the 2015 World Youth Festival in Toulon, France, and two (2) appearances in the 2015 Concacaf Olympic Qualifying Tournament.
"I feel very happy and motivated to join Austin FC ahead of its inaugural season. My family and I have heard nothing but positive things about the Club and the city," commented Segura. "This will be a great challenge for me and for the organization, and I look forward to contributing as much as I can to represent Verde in the best possible way."
All five (5) players secured during MLS' December 13 Half-Day Trade Window join previously announced acquisitions Rodney Redes and Cecilio DomÃnguez, both of whom competed in CONMEBOL Copa Libertadores while on loan to Paraguayan side Club GuaranÃ.
1. Austin FC acquired defender Nick Lima from the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for $500,000 of General Allocation Money; and
2. Austin FC acquired defender Ben Sweat from Inter Miami CF in exchange for $100,000 of General Allocation Money; and
3. Austin FC acquired defender Julio Cascante from Portland Timbers in exchange for $250,000 of General Allocation Money; and
4. Austin FC acquired forward Jon Gallagher from Atlanta United in exchange for $175,000 of General Allocation Money; and
5. Austin FC acquired midfielder Ulises Segura from D.C. United in exchange for $150,000 of General Allocation Money.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 13, 2020
- Austin FC Begins Stocking Roster with Lima, Sweat, Cascante, Gallagher and Segura - Austin FC
- MNUFC Acquires Callum Montgomery from FC Dallas in MLS Half-Day Trade Window - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Trades Callum Montgomery to Minnesota United FC in MLS Half-Day Trade Window - FC Dallas
- Atlanta Acquires up to $225,000 in General Allocation Money - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Acquires Defender Marco Farfan from Portland Timbers - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Acquire $300,000 in Allocation Money from Los Angeles FC in Exchange for Homegrown Defender Marco Farfan - Portland Timbers
- Revolution Acquire College Player Rights to Defender Jon Bell - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Acquire SuperDraft Selection in Trade with New England - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire $250,000 in General Allocation Money from Austin FC in Exchange for Defender Julio Cascante - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire $500k of Allocation Money in Trade with Austin FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire $160,000 in General Allocation Money from New York City FC - Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids Acquire 6th Overall Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft from Chicago Fire FC - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires $125,000 in General Allocation Money from Colorado Rapids - Chicago Fire FC
- D.C. United Acquire $150,000 in GAM from Austin FC for Ulises Segura - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Trades Ben Sweat to Austin FC - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Trades International Spot to Atlanta United FC for $175K in General Allocation Money - Nashville SC
- Atlanta Acquires 2021 International Roster Spot - Atlanta United FC
- 2020 MLS Cup Postgame Notes - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC to Hold Virtual Celebration Tomorrow at MAPFRE Stadium to Commemorate Winning MLS Cup 2020 - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Falls 3-0 to Columbus Crew SC in 2020 MLS Cup Final - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Austin FC Defeats San Antonio FC 5-1 in Last Preseason La Copita Match
- Austin FC Draws 3-3 with FC Dallas in Second Preseason La Copita Match
- Austin FC and Austin Pets Alive Announce Honorary Mascot Partnership
- Austin FC Announces Verde & Black, the Official Austin FC Podcast
- Austin FC Falls 3-2 to Houston Dynamo FC in First Preseason La Copita Match