Timbers Acquire $300,000 in Allocation Money from Los Angeles FC in Exchange for Homegrown Defender Marco Farfan
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers today announced that the club has acquired $300,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) from Los Angeles FC in exchange for homegrown defender Marco Farfan. This trade shall enter into effect on Jan. 1, 2021.
"I have known Marco for the better part of 20 years and to see his growth as a player and a person is remarkable," said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager and president of soccer for the Timbers. "He is an incredible young man that has set the bar very high for every player coming through our academy. We understand Marco's desire to seek a new challenge and wish him all the success in world."
The youngest player signing in team history, Farfan, 22, was the first product of the Timbers Academy to sign a Homegrown Player contract with the club back in 2016. In 14 appearances (9 starts) for the Timbers during the 2020 MLS regular season, Farfan logged a career-high 854 minutes played.
"It's been a dream playing for my hometown club and being part of the Portland Timbers' organization since 2015. I am thankful for the fans and everyone involved who gave me the opportunity to step on the field and wear the green and gold," said Farfan. "I'm very proud of the group accomplishments and the individual lessons learned these last few years, but I am also excited for the future and the next chapter in my career."
The Gresham, Ore., native made 37 appearances (24 starts) across all competitions for the Portland (2017-20). Farfan logged 1,962 minutes played in 34 regular-season appearances (23 starts) for the Timbers.
"We are proud of the progress that Marco has made here at the Timbers, starting at the academy to playing more minutes this year," said Timbers head coach Giovanni Savarese. "We will support the sentiment of a player if he needs a new challenge and are thankful for everything he has given us over the years."
Farfan was part of the squad that won the MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando, Fla. Additionally, Farfan tallied one goal in 57 appearances (56 starts) for Portland Timbers 2 in the USL Championship (2016-20).
Transaction: The Portland Timbers acquire $300,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) from Los Angeles FC in exchange for defender Marco Farfan. This trade shall enter into effect on Jan. 1, 2021.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 13, 2020
- Austin FC Begins Stocking Roster with Lima, Sweat, Cascante, Gallagher and Segura - Austin FC
- MNUFC Acquires Callum Montgomery from FC Dallas in MLS Half-Day Trade Window - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Trades Callum Montgomery to Minnesota United FC in MLS Half-Day Trade Window - FC Dallas
- Atlanta Acquires up to $225,000 in General Allocation Money - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Acquires Defender Marco Farfan from Portland Timbers - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Acquire $300,000 in Allocation Money from Los Angeles FC in Exchange for Homegrown Defender Marco Farfan - Portland Timbers
- Revolution Acquire College Player Rights to Defender Jon Bell - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Acquire SuperDraft Selection in Trade with New England - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire $250,000 in General Allocation Money from Austin FC in Exchange for Defender Julio Cascante - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire $500k of Allocation Money in Trade with Austin FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire $160,000 in General Allocation Money from New York City FC - Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids Acquire 6th Overall Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft from Chicago Fire FC - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires $125,000 in General Allocation Money from Colorado Rapids - Chicago Fire FC
- D.C. United Acquire $150,000 in GAM from Austin FC for Ulises Segura - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Trades Ben Sweat to Austin FC - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Trades International Spot to Atlanta United FC for $175K in General Allocation Money - Nashville SC
- Atlanta Acquires 2021 International Roster Spot - Atlanta United FC
- 2020 MLS Cup Postgame Notes - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC to Hold Virtual Celebration Tomorrow at MAPFRE Stadium to Commemorate Winning MLS Cup 2020 - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Falls 3-0 to Columbus Crew SC in 2020 MLS Cup Final - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Open CONCACAF Champions League Play with 2-2 Road Draw against C.D. Marathon in First Leg
- Timbers Announce Additional Roster Moves Ahead of 2021 Campaign
- Timbers Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic Undergoes Successful Athletic Pubalgia Surgery
- Timbers, Thorns FC Launch Tiktok for Good Custom Scarf Collection
- 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Qualification Announced