2020 MLS Cup Postgame Notes
December 13, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
Columbus Crew SC won MLS Cup for the second time in club history, making their third appearance in the title game, also winning MLS Cup 2008 vs. New York Red Bulls, 3-1.
Crew SC became the seventh team in MLS Cup history to win multiple league championships.
Lucas ZelarayÃ¡n was MLS Cup MVP after scoring two goals and adding one assist, involving in all three Crew SC goals.
ZelarayÃ¡n became just the third player to score two goals in MLS Cup, along with Landon Donovan (SJ, 2003) and Alecko Eskandarian (DC, 2004).
ZelarayÃ¡n also became just the second player in MLS Cup history to be involved in three goals in a single final. The first: Guillermo Barros Schelotto, who recorded assists on all three goals for the Columbus Crew in MLS Cup 2008.
Aidan Morris of Columbus Crew SC became the youngest player in history to start an MLS Cup final, at age 19 years, 27 days. He is just the second teenager to start in MLS Cup, after Landon Donovan, who was aged 19 years, 231 days when he started MLS Cup 2001.
Morris became the youngest player to be involved in a goal when he recorded an assist on the first Columbus goal. The previous was also Donovan, who scored in MLS Cup 2001.
Derrick Etienne Jr. scored in his first MLS Cup appearance, his first career goal in the MLS Cup Playoffs (in his seventh game).
Crew SC goalkeeper Eloy Room was the 10th goalkeeper to record a shutout in the MLS Cup final, recording two saves.
It marked the seventh time in MLS Cup history a team scored three or more goals in a game, the second year in a row after Seattle's 3-1 win last year. Crew SC are one of two teams to have done it twice, along with their MLS Cup 2008 victory (also: D.C. United, 1996 and 2004).
Crew SC held a 2-0 lead at halftime, the fifth time a team led by two goals at halftime, the first time since 2004 (D.C. United).
Caleb Porter became the sixth head coach in MLS history to win multiple titles, the fifth now with two wins (behind Bruce Arena with five). He is also now the third coach in league history to win MLS Cup with two different teams, having also won in 2015 with the Portland Timbers (also in Columbus, vs. the Crew).
Sounders FC saw their winning streak in the MLS Cup Playoffs put to an end after eight games, the longest postseason winning streak since the end of the shootout era (since 2000), and the second-longest in league history.
NicolÃ¡s Lodeiro saw his streaks of seven consecutive games in the MLS Cup Playoffs with an assist, and eight consecutive games with a goal and/or an assist - both all-time MLS postseason records - come to an end.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 13, 2020
- Austin FC Begins Stocking Roster with Lima, Sweat, Cascante, Gallagher and Segura - Austin FC
- MNUFC Acquires Callum Montgomery from FC Dallas in MLS Half-Day Trade Window - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Trades Callum Montgomery to Minnesota United FC in MLS Half-Day Trade Window - FC Dallas
- Atlanta Acquires up to $225,000 in General Allocation Money - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Acquires Defender Marco Farfan from Portland Timbers - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Acquire $300,000 in Allocation Money from Los Angeles FC in Exchange for Homegrown Defender Marco Farfan - Portland Timbers
- Revolution Acquire College Player Rights to Defender Jon Bell - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Acquire SuperDraft Selection in Trade with New England - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire $250,000 in General Allocation Money from Austin FC in Exchange for Defender Julio Cascante - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire $500k of Allocation Money in Trade with Austin FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire $160,000 in General Allocation Money from New York City FC - Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids Acquire 6th Overall Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft from Chicago Fire FC - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires $125,000 in General Allocation Money from Colorado Rapids - Chicago Fire FC
- D.C. United Acquire $150,000 in GAM from Austin FC for Ulises Segura - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Trades Ben Sweat to Austin FC - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Trades International Spot to Atlanta United FC for $175K in General Allocation Money - Nashville SC
- Atlanta Acquires 2021 International Roster Spot - Atlanta United FC
- 2020 MLS Cup Postgame Notes - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC to Hold Virtual Celebration Tomorrow at MAPFRE Stadium to Commemorate Winning MLS Cup 2020 - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Falls 3-0 to Columbus Crew SC in 2020 MLS Cup Final - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.