Earthquakes Acquire $500k of Allocation Money in Trade with Austin FC
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes have acquired $500k of General Allocation Money (GAM) from expansion side Austin FC in exchange for defender Nick Lima.
"Considering how much Nick means to our club, it's hard to prepare yourself for a farewell," said Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli. "Together we worked on building a homegrown career with a perspective and after four years, we realize all of us have so much more to look back on. As a person and as a player, Nick set a high standard in terms of work ethic and integrity that all young players can look up to. The same way Nick always wanted the best for the club, we wish him nothing but the best moving forward. We believe San Jose, Austin and Nick will all benefit from this opportunity and I would like to thank all parties involved for their role in getting this accomplished."
Lima, a product of the Quakes Academy, signed with the Earthquakes as the second Homegrown Player in club history ahead of the 2017 season. He was an MLS Rookie of the Year finalist in 2017 and was named the club's Defensive Player of the Year in 2018.
Lima tallied seven goals and seven assists in 100 appearances (94 starts) for San Jose over the last four seasons, while earning nine caps for the U.S. National Team.
"I have been fortunate to be a part of the Earthquakes organization for a long time, both at the youth and First Team levels," said Lima. "I want to thank the Quakes for giving me a chance to begin my professional career with my hometown club and I'll forever be grateful for the opportunity to play in front of my friends and family. I'm excited about this new opportunity with Austin FC and am looking forward to helping a new and exciting club make its mark on Major League Soccer in 2021."
The Castro Valley, Calif. native is the first of the Quakes' eight Homegrown signings to date to depart the club.
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes acquire $500k of General Allocation Money (GAM) from Austin FC in exchange for D Nick Lima.
Images from this story
San Jose Earthquakes defender Nick Lima
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 13, 2020
- Austin FC Begins Stocking Roster with Lima, Sweat, Cascante, Gallagher and Segura - Austin FC
- MNUFC Acquires Callum Montgomery from FC Dallas in MLS Half-Day Trade Window - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Trades Callum Montgomery to Minnesota United FC in MLS Half-Day Trade Window - FC Dallas
- Atlanta Acquires up to $225,000 in General Allocation Money - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Acquires Defender Marco Farfan from Portland Timbers - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Acquire $300,000 in Allocation Money from Los Angeles FC in Exchange for Homegrown Defender Marco Farfan - Portland Timbers
- Revolution Acquire College Player Rights to Defender Jon Bell - New England Revolution
- Earthquakes Acquire SuperDraft Selection in Trade with New England - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire $250,000 in General Allocation Money from Austin FC in Exchange for Defender Julio Cascante - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Acquire $500k of Allocation Money in Trade with Austin FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire $160,000 in General Allocation Money from New York City FC - Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids Acquire 6th Overall Pick in 2021 MLS SuperDraft from Chicago Fire FC - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires $125,000 in General Allocation Money from Colorado Rapids - Chicago Fire FC
- D.C. United Acquire $150,000 in GAM from Austin FC for Ulises Segura - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Trades Ben Sweat to Austin FC - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Trades International Spot to Atlanta United FC for $175K in General Allocation Money - Nashville SC
- Atlanta Acquires 2021 International Roster Spot - Atlanta United FC
- 2020 MLS Cup Postgame Notes - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC to Hold Virtual Celebration Tomorrow at MAPFRE Stadium to Commemorate Winning MLS Cup 2020 - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Falls 3-0 to Columbus Crew SC in 2020 MLS Cup Final - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2021 MLS Season
- Earthquakes Announce Wondo Way Street Name
- Earthquakes Announce Time Change for Match vs. D.C. United
- Earthquakes Partner with LAFC, LA Galaxy, Oakland Roots SC, and Sacramento Republic FC to Support California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day
- Quakes Soccer Camps to Kick off this Summer