Atlanta United Wins 1-0 against Colorado Rapids
ATLANTA - Atlanta United beat the Colorado Rapids 1-0 Saturday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in front of 43,005 fans. Julian Gressel scored the game-winning goal in the second half for his first of the season in league play and the 10th of his MLS career. Brad Guzan made three saves and posted his second clean sheet of the season.
"It's difficult against this kind of system because there are so many bodies in defense," Atlanta United head coach Frank de Boer said. "I'm very proud with the energy and discipline and the effort. After the goal, we dropped a bit because we expended a lot of energy, but I'm very happy with the victory and proud of the team."
After a scoreless first half, Atlanta applied more pressure in the second half and broke through in the 74th minute. Darlington Nagbe intercepted a pass on the left side as Colorado attempted to play out of the back. Nagbe dribbled into the 18-yard box, split a pair of defenders and raced toward the end line where he sent in a cross to Gressel. Running from the opposite side of the field, Gressel beat two defenders to the near post where he poked his right foot at the ball, which glanced off the left post and bounced into the net.
Atlanta nearly doubled its lead in the 94th minute on a counter attack. Running down the right side, Gressel switched the field to Tito Villalba in space. The Argentine took a curling shot with his right foot, but it rattled off the right post and was cleared.
Atlanta United (2-3-2, 8 points) returns to action Sunday, May 5 against Sporting Kansas City at Children's Mercy Park (9:00 p.m. EST, FS1, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Atlanta United 1, Colorado Rapids 0
Shots: 15-6 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 3-3
Corner kicks: 6-2 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 16-9 Colorado
Clearances: 30-13 Colorado
Possession: 66-34 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 83-73 Atlanta
ATL - Julian Gressel 74' (Darlington Nagbe) [HIGHLIGHT]
COL - Sam Nicholson 35' (yellow)
COL - Danny Wilson 45+1' (yellow)
COL - Kellyn Acosta 90+5' (yellow)
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Leandro González Pirez, Franco Escobar, Miles Robinson, Brek Shea (Eric Remedi - 71'); Julian Gressel, Darlington Nagbe, Jeff Larentowicz ©; Ezequiel Barco (Michael Parkhurst - 83'), Gonzalo Martinez (Hector Villalba - 71'), Josef Martinez.
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Dion Pereira, Florentin Pogba, Jon Gallagher.
COLORADO RAPIDS STARTING LINEUP
Tim Howard ©; Sam Vines, Deklan Wynne, Tommy Smith, Keegan Rosenberry, Sebastian Anderson (Benny Feilhaber - 80'); Diego Rubio (Dillon Serna - 73'), Danny Wilson, Kellyn Acosta, Sam Nicholson (Nicolas Mezquida - 64'); Kei Kamara.
Substitutes not used: Cole Bassett, Andrew Shinyashiki, Axel Sjoberg, Clint Irwin.
Alan Kelly (referee), Nick Uranga (assistant), Brian Poeschel (assistant), Elvis Osmanovic (fourth), Guido Gonzales Jr. (VAR), Thomas Supple (assistant VAR)
Julian Gressel scored his first goal of the season. It was the 10th of his MLS career.
Darlington Nagbe recorded his first assist of the season
Jeff Larentowicz appeared in his 397th career game, good for third place all-time in league history among field players. He's 11 behind Chad Marshall for second place.
Jeff Larentowicz started his 376th career game, also good for third place all-time in league history among field players. He's 27 behind Marshall for second.
Larentowicz also wore the captain's arm band for the fifth time while with Atlanta United. It was his fourth in the Regular Season with one during the 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Franco Escobar started his first match since playing at Columbus Crew SC March 30
Gonzalo Martinez started his first match since playing home versus Philadelphia Union March 17
Already third in shot attempts per game (14.67) in MLS, Atlanta attempted 15 more tonight, led by Ezequiel Barco and Leandro Gonzalez Pirez's three each.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 27, 2019
- Dynamo Keep First Clean Sheet of Season in 2-0 Win over Columbus Crew SC - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution and Sporting Kansas City Play to 4-4 Draw - New England Revolution
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Blank FC Cincinnati, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Orange and Blue hit woodwork three times in second half trying to find an equalizer - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 against Colorado Rapids - Atlanta United FC
- Union capture a point on the road; Kacper Przybylko scores in his first career MLS start - Philadelphia Union
- Henry scores second of season as 'Caps settle for draw against Union - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Quakes earn first road shutout since August 2017 - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Splits Points in Scoreless Draw against San Jose Earthquakes - FC Dallas
- Timbers Earn 2-1 Win on the Road against Toronto FC - Portland Timbers
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Los Angeles FC - April 28, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 1 Orlando City SC - New York City FC
- Orlando City Earns a Point in 1-1 Draw at NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Travels to Seattle to Face the Sounders FC Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- MINUFCvsDCU Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Visits LA Galaxy Sunday at Dignity Health Sports Park - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Josef Martinez Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Team
- Atlanta United Loans Jon Gallagher to Aberdeen FC
- Four Atlanta United Players Voted to MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target
- Atlanta United Advances to USOC Quarterfinals with 3-2 Win over Columbus
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC