Dynamo Keep First Clean Sheet of Season in 2-0 Win over Columbus Crew SC
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo remained unbeaten at home and continued their hot start to the season with a 2-0 win over Columbus Crew SC tonight at BBVA Compass Stadium.
Defensively, the team posted their first clean sheet of the season. Goalkeeper Joe Willis was credited with four saves on the night, but was well positioned throughout the match to deny numerous chances for Columbus
Houston opened the scoring in the third minute when forward Alberth Elis stripped the ball from Crew defender Lalas Abubakar near midfield and sprinted into the penalty area before finding forward Mauro Manotas with a centering pass. Manotas fought off a challenge from a Columbus defender and got a toe on the ball to tap it inside the near post for his third goal of the season. The assist was Elis' fourth of the season and the Honduran international has now contributed to eight league goals for the Dynamo in seven games.
Houston doubled their lead in the 55th minute after Manotas drove to the byline and ripped a ball across the face of goal, forcing a save from Columbus and U.S. Men's National Team goalkeeper Zack Steffen. The rebound fell to Dynamo midfielder Tomás Martínez, who rifled a shot from the top of the box for his second goal of the year.
Although they were outshot by Columbus 19-18 on the night, the Dynamo created the more dangerous chances throughout the night. Elis laid off a cross at the far post for Dynamo forward Memo Rodriguez inside the box in the 23rd minute, but Rodriguez's effort was off target.
Houston's offensive onslaught continued a few minutes later as Manotas won a corner kick off a blocked shot at the edge of the box, then Dynamo defender Maynor Figueroa forced a save at the near post from Steffen off a free kick after Elis suffered a foul outside the box in the 31st minute.
Rodriguez nearly picked up his fifth goal of the year off a free kick in the 52nd minute, forcing a diving effort from Steffen with a shot from outside the box that deflected off the crossbar after a deflection.
The Dynamo return to BBVA Compass Stadium on Saturday, May 4 to host FC Dallas for the first leg of the Texas Derby, presented by UT Physicians. Tickets for the match are on sale now, starting at $24, at HoustonDynamo.com or by phone at 713-276-4625 (GOAL).
Houston Dynamo 2-0 Columbus Crew SC
MLS Regular Season, Week 9
Saturday, April 27, 2019 - BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston, Texas
Team 1H 2H FT
Houston Dynamo 1 1 0
Columbus Crew SC 0 0 0
HOU: Mauro Manotas 3 (Alberth Elis 4) 3
HOU: Tomás Martínez 2 (unassisted) 55
Houston Dynamo: Joe Willis; Adam Lundkvist, Maynor Figueroa, Aljaz Struna, A.J. DeLaGarza; Matías Vera, Boniek García (C) (Darwin Cerén 76), Tomás Martínez (Juan David Cabezas 88); Memo Rodriguez (Tommy McNamara 72), Mauro Manotas, Alberth Elis
Substitutes not used: Tyler Deric, Alejandro Fuenmayor, Sam Junqua, Kevin Garcia
Total shots: 18 (Mauro Manotas 6); Shots on goal: 6 (Mauro Manotas 2); Fouls: 7 (Matías Vera 2); Offside: 1 (Memo Rodriguez 1); Corner kicks: 7 (Adam Lundkvist 4); Saves: 4 (Joe Willis 4)
Columbus Crew SC: Zack Steffen; Waylon Francis, Gastón Sauro, Lalas Abubakar, Héctor Jiménez; Ricardo Clark (Luis Argudo 81), Wil Trapp, Robinho, Eduardo Sosa (Niko Hansen 73), Justin Meram (Pedro Santos 56); Gyasi Zardes
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik, Josh Williams, Connor Maloney, Patrick Mullins
Total shots: 20 (Ricardo Clark, Robinho 4); Shots on goal: 4 (Lalas Abubakar, Luis Argudo, Robinho, Gyasi Zardes 1); Fouls: 11 (Waylon Francis 5); Offside: 0; Corner kicks: 11 (Justin Meram 6); Saves: 4 (Zack Steffen 4)
CLB: Waylon Francis (caution; foul) 51
Referee: Allan Chapman
Assistant Referee 1: Jeremy Hanson
Assistant Referee 2: Jeremy Kieso
Fourth Official: Rosendo Mendoza
VAR: Ricardo Salazar
Weather: 84 degrees; Sunny
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 27, 2019
- Dynamo Keep First Clean Sheet of Season in 2-0 Win over Columbus Crew SC - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution and Sporting Kansas City Play to 4-4 Draw - New England Revolution
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Blank FC Cincinnati, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Orange and Blue hit woodwork three times in second half trying to find an equalizer - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Wins 1-0 against Colorado Rapids - Atlanta United FC
- Union capture a point on the road; Kacper Przybylko scores in his first career MLS start - Philadelphia Union
- Henry scores second of season as 'Caps settle for draw against Union - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Quakes earn first road shutout since August 2017 - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Splits Points in Scoreless Draw against San Jose Earthquakes - FC Dallas
- Timbers Earn 2-1 Win on the Road against Toronto FC - Portland Timbers
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Los Angeles FC - April 28, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 1 Orlando City SC - New York City FC
- Orlando City Earns a Point in 1-1 Draw at NYCFC - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Travels to Seattle to Face the Sounders FC Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- MINUFCvsDCU Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Real Salt Lake Visits LA Galaxy Sunday at Dignity Health Sports Park - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-1 Toronto FC
- Dynamo Capture Crucial Road Win with 3-1 Victory over Toronto FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Head North for Clash with Toronto FC
- Houston Dynamo & Dash Captains to Wear Apollo 11 Mission Patch on Anniversary of Moon Landing
- Basketball Superstar James Harden Joins Houston Dynamo & Dash Ownership Group