Arms Fuel Victory in Arkansas Finale
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, AR - Yohan Ramirez set the tone in the final two innings of his start striking out all six batters to close his start. From there the bullpen tandem of Carlos Sanabria and Bryan Abreu would not allow a hit over the last five frames as the Hooks' staff again led the way in their 4-2 win over the Travelers.
In all, the pitching staff only allowed one earned run and just three hits to lead the way. The result comes even despite the Travelers opened with two runs in the first inning off of Ramirez. The righty's seven strikeouts set a new high mark in his second start in AA in 2019.
Corpus Christi's offense also came alive in the fourth and fifth innings to take the lead. Granden Goetzman opened the scoring with a loud sacrifice fly to deep right-center to bring home Abraham Toro. Then with two outs, Ramiro Rodriguez lined a single to score Seth Beer (who doubled) to tie the contest.
Heads up baserunning from Ronnie Dawson gave the Hooks the lead in the fifth. He scored on a wild pitch with two outs diving ahead of the tag from catcher Joe DeCarlo.
The defense also shined on Thursday night - turning two inning-ending double plays to help the win. Toro would add a sacrifice fly for his team-leading 49th run batted in to pad the lead to 4-2. Abreu returned for the ninth for a 1-2-3 frame to seal the win.
Corpus Christi was the only south division team to win on the night. The results move the Hooks into a tie for first with the Midland RockHounds with just four games remaining in the half.
Next, the Hooks head to Springfield to face the Cardinals in a three-game series starting at 7:10 PM on Friday night. Right-hander Cristian Javier will open the critical series on Friday night.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Milburn, Midland Shutout Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Cards Capture Opener - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Kowalczyk Tees off in 5-1 Win over Naturals - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals' Offense Goes Quiet, Frisco Wins Opener, 5-1 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Eight Travs Named TL Midseason All-Stars - Arkansas Travelers
- Carlson, Warner Named 2019 Texas League All-Stars - Springfield Cardinals
- RockHounds Fall in Extras to Cardinals - Midland RockHounds
- Cardinals Take Series from RockHounds on Kirtley's Walk-Off - Springfield Cardinals
- Cancel, Lee Lead Six Naturals to All-Star Game - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Four Hooks Named to Texas League All-Star Roster - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Six Riders Selected to All-Star Game - Frisco RoughRiders
- Seven Sod Poodles Players Named 2019 Texas League All-Stars - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Top Prospects Named to Rosters for ONEOK Field All-Star Game - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks Halt Travs Streak - Arkansas Travelers
- Arms Fuel Victory in Arkansas Finale - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sod Poodles Rally Late But Fall 10-8 in Series Finale with Naturals - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi Hooks Stories
- Hooks 2020 Season Canceled, Whataburger Field to Host Houston Astros Taxi Squad
- Whataburger Field to Host Astros' Taxi Squad
- Play Catch this Saturday at Whataburger Field
- Father's Day Batting Practice June 21 at Whataburger Field
- Hooks Launch Auction Benefitting Hospitality and Tourism Employees