Naturals' Offense Goes Quiet, Frisco Wins Opener, 5-1
FRISCO, Texas - Frisco used a combination of five pitchers - none of which tossed more than three innings - to quiet the Naturals' red-hot offense on Friday night. Frisco defeated Northwest Arkansas, 5-1 at Dr. Pepper Ballpark on Friday night in a game that lasted two hours and 26 minutes.
Starter, Gerson Garabito (4-4, 4.06 ERA) worked 7.0 innings in the start; but battled through traffic in every frame. Frisco used three homers against Garabito to take hold of the contest.
Garabito pitched seven innings for the third time this season and for the 10th time in his career; but suffered the loss, allowing a season-high in runs (five) and hits (10). He struck out five hitters in the performance.
Northwest Arkansas (30-36) tabbed its' lone run on a solo home run by Anderson Miller in the seventh inning; but could not muster any more. Khalil Lee and Emmanuel Rivera recorded the other two hits, consecutive singles in the first inning against starter, Joe Palumbo.
The series continues with game two on Saturday, June 15 at Dr. Pepper Ballpark with newly-christened Texas League All-Star, Ofreidy Gomez (3-4, 3.90 ERA) taking the ball for his 13th start of the season. Gomez is 2-1 with a 3.07 ERA over his last five starts. He'll be matched-up against right-hander, Tyler Phillips (0-4, 7.89 ERA) for the RoughRiders.
First pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m. with the Indigo Sky Casino Pregame Show beginning at 7:05 with the "Voice of the Naturals," Benjamin Kelly on AM-1590, the Ticket-2 and the Naturals Radio Network.
The Northwest Arkansas Naturals are the Double-A Texas League Affiliate of the Kansas City Royals. The Naturals play at state-of-the-art Arvest Ballpark in Springdale, Ark. For more information, including statistics, ticket options, and more, please visit NWANaturals.com, and follow us on Twitter @NWANaturals and Facebook.com/Naturals.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Milburn, Midland Shutout Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Cards Capture Opener - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Kowalczyk Tees off in 5-1 Win over Naturals - Frisco RoughRiders
- Naturals' Offense Goes Quiet, Frisco Wins Opener, 5-1 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Eight Travs Named TL Midseason All-Stars - Arkansas Travelers
- Carlson, Warner Named 2019 Texas League All-Stars - Springfield Cardinals
- RockHounds Fall in Extras to Cardinals - Midland RockHounds
- Cardinals Take Series from RockHounds on Kirtley's Walk-Off - Springfield Cardinals
- Cancel, Lee Lead Six Naturals to All-Star Game - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Four Hooks Named to Texas League All-Star Roster - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Six Riders Selected to All-Star Game - Frisco RoughRiders
- Seven Sod Poodles Players Named 2019 Texas League All-Stars - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Top Prospects Named to Rosters for ONEOK Field All-Star Game - Tulsa Drillers
- Hooks Halt Travs Streak - Arkansas Travelers
- Arms Fuel Victory in Arkansas Finale - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Sod Poodles Rally Late But Fall 10-8 in Series Finale with Naturals - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Northwest Arkansas Naturals Stories
- Northwest Arkansas Naturals Will Not Play in 2020 as Minor League Baseball Seasons Are Canceled
- Northwest Arkansas Naturals Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Naturals to Celebrate 'Naturals at Home Opener' on Social Media on Thursday, April 16th
- Arvest Ballpark Closed
- Statements from Minor League Baseball and the Naturals