Anthony Fontana records brace; Union take second place in Eastern Conference
CHESTER, Pa. - The Philadelphia Union beat New England Revolution 2-1 at home at Subaru Park. The win moves the Union into second place in the Eastern Conference with the third-best goal differential in the MLS. Anthony Fontana scored both goals for his first professional career brace including the game-winning goal at 90'+5. Kacper Przybylko picked up an assist on Fontana's first goal and now has five goals and two assists on the season. The Union return to action on the road at Red Bull Arena on September 20 where they will face Montreal Impact (7:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
Philadelphia Union 2 - New England Revolution 1
Subaru Park (Chester, PA)
Saturday, September 12, 2020
TODAY'S MATCH INFO
Referee: Guido Gonzales Jr.
Assistant Referees: Claudiu Badea, Tyler Wyrostek
Fourth Official: Robert Sibiga
VAR: Jorge Carlos Rivero
Weather: 66 degrees and clear
PHI - Anthony Fontana (Kacper Przybylko), 73'
NE - Tajon Buchanan (Gustavo Bou), 81'
PHI - Anthony Fontana 90+5'
NE - Matt Polster (caution) 8'
PHI - Jose Martinez (caution) 20'
PHI - Raymon Gaddis (caution) 36'
PHI - Alejandro Bedoya (caution) 50'
NE - Matt Polster (2nd caution, ejection) 56'
PHI - Anthony Fontana (caution) 65'
PHI - Mark McKenzie (caution) 90'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Ray Gaddis, Jakob Glesnes, Mark McKenzie, Olivier Mbaizo (Matt Real, 65'); Alejandro Bedoya, Jose Martinez (Jack de Vries, 90+1), Jamiro Monteiro, Brenden Aaronson; Kacper Przybylko, Andrew Wooten (Anthony Fontana, 65')
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; Cole Turner, Michee Ngalina
New England Revolution: Matt Turner; Brandon Bye, Andrew Farrell, Henry Kessler, Alexander Buttner; Tommy McNamara (Tajon Buchanan, 68'), Kelyn Rowe (Lee Nguyen, 76'), Matt Polster; Teal Bunbury (Gustavo Bou, 76'), Adam Buksa (Scott Caldwell, 59'), Cristian Penilla (Diego Fagundez, 68')
Substitutes not used: Brad Knighton; Michael Mancienne, DeJuan Jones, Kekuta Manneh
With the win the Union move into second place in the Eastern Conference and hold the third-best goal differential in Major League Soccer.
The Union are now undefeated in their three matchups with the Revs this season, giving up a single goal to the opposition in that time.
Anthony Fontana registered his first career MLS brace including the game-winning goal at 90+5'...his two goals are a season-high for the midfielder...he becomes the first homegrown to scored two goals in a single MLS match.
Kacper Przybylko picked up an assist to give him five goals and two assists on the season.
In his 135th career start, Andre Blake is now 7-1-3 all-time against the Revolution, his best winning percentage against an opponent that he has at least 10 starts against.
Andrew Wooten got his second start of the season (sixth overall for the club), while Jack de Vries made his third appearance for the Union.
The Union return to action on the road at Red Bull Arena on September 20 vs. Montreal Impact (7:00 p.m. ET / PHL17).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 12, 2020
- Rubio Helps Rapids Crush Skid, Real Salt Lake - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Falls 4-2 to Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- Anthony Fontana records brace; Union take second place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- Dynamo Fall to FC Dallas 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami CF Falls 2-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Mauricio Pereyra Scores Game Winner in Lions' 2-1 Victory Over Inter Miami - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall, 2-1, to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Vazquez snaps FC Cincinnati's scoreless streak - FC Cincinnati
- Kaku's Two-Assist Night Leads New York over D.C, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 1 FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 against the New York Red Bulls at Audi Field - D.C. United
- LAFC to Face Portland Timbers Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire FC Draw 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case - Sporting Kansas City
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Orlando City SC - Inter Miami CF
- Storylines: City vs. Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Impact Faces the Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday at BC Place - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Cory Burke scores game winner: Union remain first place in Eastern Conference
- Philadelphia Union Forward Sergio Santos Voted MLS Player of the Week
- Union claim first place in Eastern Conference; Sergio Santos nets hat-trick
- Philadelphia Union and Southern New Hampshire University Host Third Annual Rompe Las Barreras Job Shadow Program
- Anthony Fontana scores third game winning goal this season for Union