Rubio Helps Rapids Crush Skid, Real Salt Lake
Diego Rubio picked a great time to open his account in 2020, scoring a brace inside the opening 10 minutes to lead the Colorado Rapids to a 5-0 win over Real Salt Lake Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium.
Sam Vines added his first career MLS goal early in the second half for the Rapids, who snapped a five-match losing streak to their Rocky Mountain rivals and claimed the Cup for 2020, 6-4 on aggregate.
Rubio got things started for the visitors in the third minute with a header inside the six-yard box after a ball was headed back in front of the net following a corner kick.
Rubio added his second seven minutes later, taking a Younes Namli pass off his chest and ran at the heart of the RSL defense. When they slagged off, the Chilean gladly took the space given to him before burying a low shot from distance past Andrew Putna.
Namli picked up his second assist on the night four minutes into the second half, cutting a ball back to the edge of the six where Vines ran onto it, crashing the back post to extend Colorado's lead.
Moments after stepping onto the pitch, Brian Galvan tacked on a fourth goal, capitalizing on a defensive miscue. Rubio picked off an errant pass in the Rapids' attacking third, found Cole Bassett, who served a perfect ball to Galvan, who hammered home the first-time finish.
RSL ended the match with 10 men after Douglas Martinez, who came on at halftime, was sent off on a straight red card for violent conduct following Video Review in the 64th minute.
Bassett then added the fifth goal after Jeremy Kelly slalomed through the porous RSL defense two minutes from full time. Tempers flared after the match with Everton Luiz chasing after Galvan.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 12, 2020
- Rubio Helps Rapids Crush Skid, Real Salt Lake - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Falls 4-2 to Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- Anthony Fontana records brace; Union take second place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- Dynamo Fall to FC Dallas 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami CF Falls 2-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Mauricio Pereyra Scores Game Winner in Lions' 2-1 Victory Over Inter Miami - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall, 2-1, to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Vazquez snaps FC Cincinnati's scoreless streak - FC Cincinnati
- Kaku's Two-Assist Night Leads New York over D.C, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 1 FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 against the New York Red Bulls at Audi Field - D.C. United
- LAFC to Face Portland Timbers Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire FC Draw 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case - Sporting Kansas City
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Orlando City SC - Inter Miami CF
- Storylines: City vs. Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Impact Faces the Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday at BC Place - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs