Kaku's Two-Assist Night Leads New York over D.C, 2-0
The New York Red Bulls (4-5-2, 14 pts) even the 2020 Atlantic Cup series with a 2-0 win over D.C. United (2-4-4, 10 pts) on Saturday night at Audi Field.
New York snapped its two-match losing streak and move into a tie with New England for sixth in the Eastern Conference standings.
The Red Bulls improved to 3-0-1 at Audi Field and are 6-1-5 against D.C. United in the last 12 MLS regular-season matches.
New York grabbed the game's first goal on their first set-piece goal of 2020 in the 29th minute. Kaku, from about 35 yards out, lofted his pass over the D.C. defense to the near post for Aaron Long to head in his first goal of the season.
The Red Bulls doubled their lead in the 60th minute as Jason Pendant swung in a well-placed ball into the box for Daniel Royer to volley in for his second of the season.
Long recorded his first goal of 2020 and tied Steve Jolley for the franchise lead for most goals by a defender with seven.
Royer tallied his second goal of 2020 and 37th career MLS regular-season goal. The Austrian winger is just two goals shy of 50 goals across all competitions for the Red Bulls.
Kaku was credited with assists on both of New York's goals to earn his first multi-assist match since May 20, 2018 at Atlanta United.
Kaku moved into New York's Top-10 all-time assists list, tying Clint Mathis with 23 career MLS regular-season helpers.
The Red Bulls tallied their first road shutout since September 18, 2019 at Portland. Ryan Meara, who came off due to injury, and David Jensen combined for five saves in the clean sheet.
Newly acquired Young Designated Player Dru Yearwood earned his first MLS start, recording 53 minutes played.
Interim Head Coach Bradley Carnell earned his first career win as a manager.
New York is 44-47-20 all-time in the month of September. New York has scored 163 goals in the ninth month of the year and allowed 177.
New York returns to Red Bull Arena next Saturday to host FC Cincinnati. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio.
New York Red Bulls 2, D.C. United 0
2020 MLS Regular-Season Match 11
Saturday - 7 p.m. ET
Audi Field | Washington, D.C.
NY - Aaron Long 1 (Kaku) 29' - WATCH
NY - Daniel Royer 2 (Pendant, Kaku) 60' - WATCH
NY - Aaron Long (yellow, unsporting behavior) 42'
NY - Cristian Casseres Jr. (yellow, unsporting behavior) 65'
New York Red Bulls: Ryan Meara © (David Jensen, 62'); Kyle Duncan, Aaron Long, Tim Parker, Sean Nealis, Jason Pendant, Cristian Casseres Jr., Kaku (Jared Stroud, 78'), Daniel Royer (Ben Mines, 77'), Dru Yearwood (Florian Valot, 53'), Mathias Jorgensen (Brian White, 62')
Unused Subs: Amro Tarek, Samuel Tetteh, Omir Fernandez, Mandela Egbo
TOTAL SHOTS: 10; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 11; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 5
D.C. United: Chris Seitz; Chris Odoi-Atsem (Oniel Fisher, 61'), Frederic Brillant ©, Donovan Pines, Joseph Mora (Federico Higuain, 67'), Junior Moreno, Mohammed Abu, Kevin Paredes, Julian Gressel (Ulises Segura, 75'), Ola Kamara (Yamil Asad,75'), Gelmin Rivas (Erik Sorga, 61')
Unused Subs: Griffin Yow, Bill Hamid, Moses Nyeman, Axel Sjoberg
TOTAL SHOTS: 8; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 6; OFFSIDE: 0; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 4
Referee: Marcos de Oliveira
Assistant Referees: Corey Parker, Brian Dunn
4th Official: Luis Arroyo
VAR: Hilario Grajeda
Attendance: Closed-door match
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 12, 2020
- Rubio Helps Rapids Crush Skid, Real Salt Lake - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Falls 4-2 to Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- Anthony Fontana records brace; Union take second place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- Dynamo Fall to FC Dallas 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami CF Falls 2-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Mauricio Pereyra Scores Game Winner in Lions' 2-1 Victory Over Inter Miami - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall, 2-1, to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Vazquez snaps FC Cincinnati's scoreless streak - FC Cincinnati
- Kaku's Two-Assist Night Leads New York over D.C, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 1 FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 against the New York Red Bulls at Audi Field - D.C. United
- LAFC to Face Portland Timbers Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire FC Draw 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case - Sporting Kansas City
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Orlando City SC - Inter Miami CF
- Storylines: City vs. Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Impact Faces the Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday at BC Place - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Defenders Aaron Long and Kyle Duncan Earn U.S. Men's National Team Call-Ups
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions
- Red Bulls Knocked out of MLS Cup Playoffs; Fall to Columbus, 3-2
- New York Travels to Columbus for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Matchup
- New York Red Bulls Players and Pediatric Patients Virtually Design Posters to Mark Five-Year Anniversary of Tackle Kids Cancer