Chicago Fire FC Draw 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Soldier Field
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC (2-6-3, 9 points) scored two first half goals by Djordje MihailoviÄ and Robert BeriÄ in a 2-2 tie against Columbus Crew SC (7-1-3, 24 points) at Soldier Field on Saturday afternoon.
The Fire is the first team to score twice in a match against Columbus this season. The Crew, the top team in MLS right now, have only conceded four goals in 11 games.
In the 11th minute, a precise through ball from Alvaro Medran into space found a streaking BeriÄ. The Slovenian striker's cross to MihailoviÄ led to a left-footed tap-in for his first goal of the season. Three minutes later, BeriÄ netted his team-leading third goal of 2020 off a cross from Fabian Herbers.
In the second half, the Crew would strike twice. A corner kick in the 68th minute found U.S. international Gyasi Zardes whose header was deflected in by midfielder Fatai Alashe. Zardes then scored the equalizer in the 88th minute as the Crew was able to grab a point on the road.
Next on the schedule: Chicago Fire FC will begin the second phase of the continuation of play on the road versus Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 19. The match will begin at 6:30 p.m. CT and will be broadcast live on WGN-TV and ESPN+ and transmitted locally in Spanish on 105.1 WOJO-HD2. The pregame show, presented by CIBC, will begin at 6:15 p.m. CT on ESPN+. Yesterday, the Fire announced a trio of upcoming games.
Social: Twitter - @chicagofire, @vamosfire | Instagram - @chicagofire | Facebook
Midfielder Djorjde MihailoviÄ tallied his first goal of the season and the sixth of his professional career. MihailoviÄ left the match in the 22nd minute with an ankle injury.
Designated Player Robert BeriÄ scored his team-leading third goal of the season after earning his first assist of 2020 on MihailoviÄ's tally. The forward was named today's Heineken Man of the Match.
Forward CJ Sapong returned to the field after missing the first phase of the continuation of play due to an excused absence. Sapong last played versus Vancouver Whitecaps FC on July 23 in the MLS is Back tournament in Orlando, Florida.
Chicago Fire FC has teamed up with Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago and Ronald McDonald House Charities during the month of September to bring awareness to Kick Childhood Cancer. Player jerseys featured a yellow ribbon patch that represents Kick Childhood Cancer.
CHI - Djorjde MihailoviÄ 11th minute (WATCH)
CHI - Robert BeriÄ 14th minute (WATCH)
CLB - Fatai Alashe 68th minute (WATCH)
CLB - Gyasi Zardes 89th minute (WATCH)
Key attacking plays:
CHI - Fabian Herbers 6th minute (WATCH): Robert BeriÄ collected the ball at midfield and slipped it through the right side to a sprinting Fabian Herbers. The German's shot went just wide of the far post.
CHI - Elliot Collier 65th minute (WATCH): Collier held the ball on the left side and took a quick shot from close range that forced a reaction save from Columbus goalkeeper Eloy Room.
CHI - Ãlvaro MedrÃ¡n 77th minute: A ball in-behind found MedrÃ¡n 1v1 against Room. The Spaniard attempted to chip the goalkeeper but his touch was too strong and narrowly went over the goal.
CHI - PrzemysÅaw Frankowski 78th minute (WATCH) - After a nifty backheel from forward Ignacio Aliseda, Frankowski's dangerous shot was saved by a diving Room.
CHI - PrzemysÅaw Frankowski 86th minute (WATCH): Elliot Collier played a ball to a darting PrzemysÅaw Frankowski whose shot was saved by a flat-footed Room. The rebound fell to Aliseda but his shot was deflected wide.
Key defensive plays:
CHI - Bobby Shuttleworth 50th minute (WATCH): After a cross was headed up in the air by Zardes, midfielder Luis Diaz took a shot with pace that was saved by Shuttleworth.
CHI - Bobby Shuttleworth 51st minute (WATCH): A corner kick from Pedro Santos found the head of defender Jonathan Mensah, but Bobby Shuttleworth was there to make a close-range save.
CHI - Bobby Shuttleworth 54th minute (WATCH): Shuttleworth made a diving save off a left-footed shot by Zardes.
Chicago Fire FC 2:2 Columbus Crew SC
CHI - MihailoviÄ (1) (MedrÃ¡n 3, BeriÄ 1) 11'
CHI - BeriÄ (3) (Herbers 1) 14'
CLB - Alashe (1) (Zardes 2, Santos 5) 68'
CLB - Zardes (8) 88'
CHI - MedrÃ¡n (Caution) 27'
CHI - Navarro (Caution) 34'
CLB - Mensah (Caution) 37'
CHI - Herbers (Caution) 56'
CLB - Afful (Caution) 70'
CHI - Calvo (Caution) 71'
CHI - Bornstein (Caution) 73'
Chicago Fire FC: GK Shuttleworth, D SekuliÄ, D Pineda, D Calvo ©, D Navarro (D Bornstein HT), M MihailoviÄ (F Collier 22'), M Giménez, M MedrÃ¡n, M Aliseda, M Herbers (M Frankowski 62'), F BeriÄ (F Sapong 79')
Subs not used: GK Sparrow, D Omsberg, D Bronico, M Azira, M Gutiérrez
Shots: 15 Shots on goal: 6 Fouls: 19 Offsides: 1 Corners: 3 Possession: 43.6%
Columbus Crew SC: GK Room, D Valenzuela, D Willaims, D Mensah, D Afful, M Alashe, M Artur, M Santos (F Adi 81'), M Etienne (M Mokhtar 75'), M Diaz (M Boateng 64'), F Zardes
Subs not used: GK Tarbell, D Cadden, D Keita, M Jimenez, M Berhalter, M Morris
Shots: 20 Shots on goal: 6 Fouls: 14 Offsides: 0 Corners: 12 Possession: 56.4%
Referee: John Freemon
Assistant Referees: Peter Manikowski, Ian McKay
Fourth Official: Fotis Bakos
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 12, 2020
- Rubio Helps Rapids Crush Skid, Real Salt Lake - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Falls 4-2 to Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- Anthony Fontana records brace; Union take second place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- Dynamo Fall to FC Dallas 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami CF Falls 2-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Mauricio Pereyra Scores Game Winner in Lions' 2-1 Victory Over Inter Miami - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall, 2-1, to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Vazquez snaps FC Cincinnati's scoreless streak - FC Cincinnati
- Kaku's Two-Assist Night Leads New York over D.C, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 1 FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 against the New York Red Bulls at Audi Field - D.C. United
- LAFC to Face Portland Timbers Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire FC Draw 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case - Sporting Kansas City
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Orlando City SC - Inter Miami CF
- Storylines: City vs. Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Impact Faces the Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday at BC Place - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Successfully Appeal Defender Francisco Calvo's Suspension
- 10-Man Chicago Fire Narrowly Falls 2-1 to Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: October 26 Ã¢ÂÂ November 1
- Chicago Fire FC Extend Home Unbeaten Streak to Six Games, Draw New York Red Bulls 2-2
- Chicago Fire FC Away Match against Minnesota United FC Rescheduled to November 4