Dynamo Fall to FC Dallas 2-1
FRISCO, TEXAS - The Houston Dynamo saw their six-game unbeaten run come to an end with a 2-1 loss to FC Dallas this evening at Toyota Stadium. A pair of stunning goals in the first half, one from each team, send the game to halftime level before Dallas scored the winner on the hour mark.
FC Dallas struck first in the 29th minute when midfielder Andrés Ricuarte fired a left-footed volley into the upper right corner of the net. The goal was the result of a Dallas free kick, and although the Dynamo cleared the initial service, the second ball found its way to Ricuarte 25 yards out, and he contorted his body to keep the volley underneath the crossbar, leaving Dynamo goalkeeper Marko MariÃ¦ no chance.
The Dynamo leveled things in the 41st through a brilliant free kick goal by midfielder Memo Rodriguez. It was Rodriguez's third goal of the season and the 13th of his career for the Club.
After forward Mauro Manotas drew a foul at the edge of the penalty area, Rodriguez stepped up to the free kick and blasted a laser into the upper right corner. Dallas goalkeeper Kyle Zobeck had a good read on it and dove to try and save it, but could barely get a finger to it due to the pace with which it was truck.
Dallas retook the lead in the 61st minute after a Houston giveaway outside the penalty area. Forward Michael Barrios took advantage of the turnover and flicked a ball over the top of the defense to forward Franco Jara at the six-yard box near the left post. Jara tucked his first touch past MariÃ¦ and inside the far post to make it 2-1.
Two minutes later a wild scramble inside the FC Dallas penalty area saw a shot from Manotas blocked, a lofted shot from forward Darwin Quintero headed off the line and a shout for a Dynamo penalty waved off, all in the span of less than 10 seconds. Unfortunately for Houston, the ball refused to find its way into the net in the sequence.
Manotas had another excellent look at goal in the 85th minute after an excellent sequence of one-touch passing by the Dynamo. The ball eventually cycled its way to the feet of the Colombian at the top of the penalty area with space for him to fire a right-footed shot on goal. The shot had excellent pace and forced Zobeck to dive low to his right to save it.
Tonight's match concluded Phase 1 of Major League Soccer's return to play in club home markets for the Dynamo. Next up for Houston will be a home match with Minnesota United FC on Saturday, Sept. 19 at 7 p.m. CDT. That will be the first professional sporting event in Houston with fans in attendance, as the Dynamo will welcome up to 3,000 fans in a socially-distanced setting.
FC Dallas (3-2-4; 13 pts.) 2-1 Houston Dynamo (3-3-5; 14 pts.)
MLS Regular Season - Phase 1 - Match 6
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020 - Toyota Stadium - Frisco, Texas
TEAM 1H 2H FT
FC Dallas 1 1 2
Houston Dynamo 1 0 1
DAL: Andrés Ricuarte 1 (unassisted) 29
HOU: Memo Rodriguez 3 (unassisted) 41
DAL: Franco Jara 2 (Michael Barrios 2, Ryan Hollingshead 1) 61
FC Dallas: Kyle Zobeck; Reto Ziegler (C), Matt Hedges, Ryan Hollingshead; Andrés Ricuarte (Edwin Cerillo 80), Tanner Tessmann (Brandon Servania 68), Thiago Santos, Bryan Reynolds; Santiago Mosquera (Ricardo Pepi 68), Franco Jara (Bressan 86), Michael Barrios
Unused substitutes: Charlie Lyon; JesÃºs Ferreira, John Nelson, Thomas Roberts, Dante Sealy
Total shots: 13 (Franco Jara 3); Shots on goal: 5 (Andrés Ricuarte 2); Fouls: 13 (Five players tied, 2 each); Offside: 1 (Santiago Mosquera 1); Corner kicks: 8 (Andrés Ricuarte 5); Saves: 2 (Kyle Zobeck 2)
Houston Dynamo: Marko MariÃ¦; Adam Lundkvist (Christian Ramirez 79), Maynor Figueroa, Kiki Struna, Zarek Valentin; Matias Vera (c); Darwin Cerén (Boniek Garcia 81), Memo Rodriguez (Nico Lemoine 90); Darwin Quintero, Mauro Manotas, Ari Lassiter
Unused substitutes: Cody Cropper; Victor Cabrera, Niko Hansen, Sam Junqua, TomÃ¡s MartÃnez, Marcelo Palomino
Total shots: 16 (Mauro Manotas 5); Shots on goal: 3 (Mauro Manotas 2); Fouls: 12 (MatÃas Vera 3); Offside: 1 (Ari Lassiter 1); Corner kicks: 4 (Darwin Quintero 4); Saves: 3 (Marko MariÃ¦ 3)
HOU: Darwin Cerén (caution; foul) 28
DAL: Thiago Santos (caution; persistent infringement) 33
HOU: Ari Lassiter (caution; foul) 50
HOU: Memo Rodriguez (caution; dangerous play) 87
HOU: Boniek GarcÃa (caution; foul) 89
DAL: Michael Barrios (caution; foul) 90+4
HOU: Darwin Quintero (caution; unsporting behavior) 90+5
Referee: Joe Dickerson
Assistant Referees: Jeffrey Greeson
Assistant Referee: Kevin Lock
Fourth Official: Tori Penso
VAR: Daniel Radford
Weather: 90 degrees, partly cloudy
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 12, 2020
- Rubio Helps Rapids Crush Skid, Real Salt Lake - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United Falls 4-2 to Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- Anthony Fontana records brace; Union take second place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- Dynamo Fall to FC Dallas 2-1 - Houston Dynamo
- Inter Miami CF Falls 2-1 to Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- Mauricio Pereyra Scores Game Winner in Lions' 2-1 Victory Over Inter Miami - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall, 2-1, to Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Vazquez snaps FC Cincinnati's scoreless streak - FC Cincinnati
- Kaku's Two-Assist Night Leads New York over D.C, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 1 FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- D.C. United Lose 2-0 against the New York Red Bulls at Audi Field - D.C. United
- LAFC to Face Portland Timbers Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire FC Draw 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Sporting KC Confirms Positive COVID-19 Case - Sporting Kansas City
- Matchday Guide: Inter Miami CF vs. Orlando City SC - Inter Miami CF
- Storylines: City vs. Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Impact Faces the Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday at BC Place - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo Draw 1-1 with Columbus Crew SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to Bbva Stadium to Host Columbus Crew SC
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows
- Dynamo Rally Late for 2-2 Draw at Minnesota
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Travel to Allianz Field to Face Minnesota United FC