Amerks Serve Families at Ronald McDonald House
(Rochester, October 13)... The smell of chicken and broccoli filled the kitchen at the Ronald McDonald House last night. A burly Moose walked the halls handing out Halloween toys to kids, while members of the Rochester Americans hockey team and their families put the finishing touches on dinner.
"It's fun for us and it helps them," said alternate captain Joe Callahan. "It's fun to get out in the community."
Callahan was one of four Amerks in the kitchen at the house on Westmoreland Drive. Amerks alternate captain Chris Taylor was joined by his wife, Lisa, and their two children, Nicholas and Samantha. It marked the second straight season that the Taylor family has made dinner for RMHC. Last season, they made a spaghetti dinner for the families.
This year, the Taylor's and three fellow Amerks players made a chicken dinner. Brady Calla, his girlfriend Joy, and Paul Baier also assisted with the main course. The menu items also included salad, rice, rolls, vegetable rice, and a kids' dish of chicken fingers and French fries. For dessert, it was Elmo topped cupcakes and cookies.
"It is great to have the players here again," said Carolyn Leonard, Resident Manager of Ronald McDonald House Charities of Rochester. "They always do a fabulous job and it is a good change of pace for the families after a long day at the hospital. They are happy to get a home-cooked meal and players are always very warm and welcoming.
"They love having you guys here and they love going to the hockey game," added Leonard. "It gives them a chance to spend an hour or two doing a family-oriented activity."
The relationship with Ronald McDonald House Charities of Rochester was created through the Amerks and Knighthawks Business Club. Recently, Amerks Head Coach Chuck Weber delivered 20 season tickets to the house for the volunteers and the families to enjoy Amerks hockey.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 13, 2010
- Monarchs Assign Fransson to Russia - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolf Pack Notebook - Connecticut Whale
- Wolf Pack's Skating Specialist - Connecticut Whale
- Rangers Assign Forward Tim Kennedy to Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Tenth Season Of Wolves Adopt-A-Dog Program Begins Saturday - Chicago Wolves
- Coyotes Announce Affiliation Agreement With Arizona Sundogs - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms and Devils to Challenge for 2nd Annual Time Warner Cable Cup - Adirondack Phantoms
- Moose once again Go Pink in October for "Keeping Abreast" - Manitoba Moose
- Moose serve up third annual community pancake breakfast at Gateway Community Centre - Manitoba Moose
- Rampage Assign Joe Fallon To Las Vegas - San Antonio Rampage
- B-sens Release Goaltender Shane Connelly - Binghamton Senators
- Pirates Weekly - Portland Pirates
- IceHogs Assign Leblanc To Toledo - Rockford IceHogs
- CT Whale/Wolf Pack Weekly Release - Connecticut Whale
- Matt McIlvane Assigned to Bloomington - Peoria Rivermen
- SJ Sharks Assign Goaltender Thomas Greiss to Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Amerks Serve Families at Ronald McDonald House - Rochester Americans
- NHL Network U.S. to Air 10 AHL Games in 2010-11 - AHL
- Wolves Open Home Schedule Saturday - Chicago Wolves
- Wolves Add 18 Games on My50 Chicago to Broadcast Slate - Chicago Wolves
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Announce Details of Change of Pace 'Wing of the Year' Award - Syracuse Crunch
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.