Aaron Boupendza Earns Gabon Call-Up for Vital AFCON Qualifier
FC Cincinnati forward Aaron Boupendza has been called up to the Gabonese National Team ahead of the country's final qualifying match for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations. Les Panthères will travel to face Mauritania in Nouakchott on Saturday, September 9 in Gabon's sixth and final 2023 AFCON qualifier.
The Group I qualifying match will determine a finalist for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations, which takes place in Ivory Coast in January 2024. The top two teams in each of the 12 qualifying groups qualify for the final stage of the tournament.
Gabon and Mauritania are level on seven points in second place behind DR Congo in Group I. Because Mauritania hold a better goal difference than Gabon, Les Panthères must defeat Mauritania on their home soil, whereas Al-Murabitun would advance to the Africa Cup of Nations with a win or a draw.
2023 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifying Group I
1. DR Congo: 3-2-0, 9 points (+5 GD)
2. Mauritania: 2-2-1, 7 points (+1 GD)
3. Gabon: 2-2-1, 7 points (-1 GD)
4. Sudan: 2-3-0, 6 points (-5 GD)
Boupendza has started and played in four of the five qualifiers for Gabon leading up to the final 2023 AFCON qualifier. Boupendza, making his first appearance with his national team since debuting with FC Cincinnati on July 15, has scored four goals in 25 senior caps for Les Panthères. The 27-year-old has scored twice in his career in AFCON qualifiers, and once in the Africa Cup of Nations, on January 10, 2022 in a 1-0 win over Comoros.
The forward has scored two goals and added one assist in seven appearances across all competitions for FC Cincinnati since joining the Orange and Blue mid-season.
FC Cincinnati return to action on Saturday, September 16 at Philadelphia Union. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. and the match will stream exclusively on MLS Season Pass on Apple TV. Fans can also listen to the match locally on Fox Sports 1360 and on SiriusXM FC 157.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 5, 2023
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Short Break in Schedule Allows FC Cincinnati Time to Regroup from First Home Loss - FC Cincinnati
- Eight Atlanta United Players Receive National Team Call-Ups for September FIFA Window - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew Forward Cucho Hernández Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 30 - MLS
- D.C. United Loan Defender Jacob Greene to Loudoun United FC - D.C. United
- Ashtone Morgan Joins Toronto FC Front Office - Toronto FC
- 2024 Whitecaps FC Season Memberships on Sale Now for 50th Anniversary Season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- ABC to Broadcast 2024 FCS Championship Game from Toyota Stadium in Frisco - FC Dallas
- Aaron Boupendza Earns Gabon Call-Up for Vital AFCON Qualifier - FC Cincinnati
- The Pitch: Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Seven Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call Ups - Philadelphia Union
- New York City Football Club Midfielder Maxi Moralez to Undergo Surgery for Ruptured Anterior Cruciate Ligament - New York City FC
- Messi, Callender, and Alba Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes, Kaiser Permanente Launch 11th Year of Get EQ Fit Program - San Jose Earthquakes
- Evander Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 30 - Portland Timbers
- Philadelphia Union Academy Announce Technical Staff Changes - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Academy Announces Staff and Competitions for 2023-24 Season - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Part Ways with Head Coach Robin Fraser - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew Waive Midfielder Luis Diaz - Columbus Crew SC
- Charlotte FC's Brian Romero & Nimfasha Berchimas Earn U-17 U.S. Men's National Team Call Up - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- Miles Robinson Shines on Both Sides of the Ball as FC Cincinnati Earn Confidence-Building Victory
- FC Cincinnati Extinguish Chicago Fire 2-1 to Earn First League Play Victory of 2024
- FC Cincinnati Travel to Chicago for First Road Match of MLS Season
- By the Number: FC Cincinnati at Chicago Fire FC
- Academy Roundup: Young Garys Earn Positive Results on Weekend Road Trip