Eight Atlanta United Players Receive National Team Call-Ups for September FIFA Window
ATLANTA - Luis Abram, Thiago Almada, Derrick Etienne Jr., Giorgos Giakoumakis, Saba Lobjanidze, Miles Robinson and Efraín Morales have received call-ups from their respective national teams for the September 4-12 FIFA window.
Abram will join Peru for two World Cup qualifiers at Paraguay on Sept. 7 and at home versus Brazil on Sept. 12. The defender has 35 caps for Peru at the international level, including 11 matches in World Cup qualification and eight Copa America appearances, making his senior national team debut in a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago on May 24, 2016.
Almada returns to the Argentine National Team after becoming the first active MLS player to win the FIFA World Cup in Qatar. The 22-year-old made one appearance in the World Cup, entering as a substitute against Poland in the group stage. He has three appearances with Argentina's senior national team, making his debut against Honduras in September of 2022. Argentina will play two World Cup qualifiers in Argentina on Sept. 7 against Ecuador, and at Bolivia on Sept. 12.
Etienne Jr. was called up to join Haiti for two CONCACAF Nations League matches. The winger has earned 41 caps and tallied eight goals and nine assists with the Haiti National Team since making his debut as a substitute in a Caribbean Cup qualifier against French Guiana on Nov. 9, 2016. Haiti will play at home against Cuba on Sept. 8 and at Jamaica on Sept. 12.
Giakoumakis will join Greece for a pair of UEFA Euro 2024 qualifying matches at the Netherlands on Sept. 7 and at home against Gibraltar on Sept. 10. The 28-year-old forward has represented Greece at both the U-21 and senior level. He's made 15 appearances and scored two goals for his country. He scored on his international debut on Nov. 11, 2020 in a friendly against Cyprus.
Lobjanidze returns to the Georgia National team for a pair of qualifying matches for UEFA Euro 2024. Georgia begins with a match in Tblisi against Spain on Sept. 8 and at Norway on Sept. 12. The 28-year-old winger has earned 34 caps for the Georgian National Team and tallied three goals after making his debut on Jan. 23, 2017.
Robinson returns to the USMNT for two international friendlies. The U.S. is set to play Uzbekistan in St. Louis on Sept. 9 and in Minnesota against Oman on Sept. 12. Robinson has 26 caps and three goals with the USMNT, earning his senior team debut on Sept. 6, 2019 coming on as a substitute in a friendly against Mexico. Robinson started all six matches and scored two goals at the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup where he helped the U.S. secure five clean sheets and scored the game-winning goal in the final as the U.S. beat Mexico 1-0. He started 11 of 14 World Cup Qualifiers this past cycle, helping the USMNT qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.â¯
Morales was called up to join Bolivia for its World Cup Qualifying matches as it is set to play at Brazil on Sept. 8 and later versus Argentina at home on Sept. 12. Morales was named to the Bolivian senior team roster for the first time as the 19-year-old defender is on loan from Atlanta United FC to Atlanta United 2.
In addition, Atlanta United 2's midfielder Jonantan Villal has been called up by Mexico's U-18 national team from Sept. 3 - 14. Mexico's U-18 national team faces UAE on Sept. 6, Slovenia on Sept. 9 and finishes against Portugal on Sept. 12. Villal has three caps, making his debut on Sept. 21, 2022, against Finland.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 5, 2023
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Short Break in Schedule Allows FC Cincinnati Time to Regroup from First Home Loss - FC Cincinnati
- Eight Atlanta United Players Receive National Team Call-Ups for September FIFA Window - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew Forward Cucho Hernández Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 30 - MLS
- D.C. United Loan Defender Jacob Greene to Loudoun United FC - D.C. United
- Ashtone Morgan Joins Toronto FC Front Office - Toronto FC
- 2024 Whitecaps FC Season Memberships on Sale Now for 50th Anniversary Season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- ABC to Broadcast 2024 FCS Championship Game from Toyota Stadium in Frisco - FC Dallas
- Aaron Boupendza Earns Gabon Call-Up for Vital AFCON Qualifier - FC Cincinnati
- The Pitch: Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Seven Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call Ups - Philadelphia Union
- New York City Football Club Midfielder Maxi Moralez to Undergo Surgery for Ruptured Anterior Cruciate Ligament - New York City FC
- Messi, Callender, and Alba Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes, Kaiser Permanente Launch 11th Year of Get EQ Fit Program - San Jose Earthquakes
- Evander Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 30 - Portland Timbers
- Philadelphia Union Academy Announce Technical Staff Changes - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Academy Announces Staff and Competitions for 2023-24 Season - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Part Ways with Head Coach Robin Fraser - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew Waive Midfielder Luis Diaz - Columbus Crew SC
- Charlotte FC's Brian Romero & Nimfasha Berchimas Earn U-17 U.S. Men's National Team Call Up - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United to Compete in 2024 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 at Columbus Crew
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew
- Atlanta United Announces 2024 Roster Ahead of Season Opener
- Atlanta United Partners with SweetWater Brewing Company