Columbus Crew Forward Cucho Hernández Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 30
September 5, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Columbus Crew forward Cucho Hernández was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 30 of the 2023 MLS season.
Hernández scored his first career hat trick in the Crew's 4-2 victory over CF Montréal at Stade Saputo on Saturday, September 2. The Colombian international became the ninth player in club history to score a regular season hat trick and the first to do so since Gyasi Zardes on October 28, 2018, against Minnesota United FC. Since making his MLS debut on July 9, 2022, Hernández has produced 31 goal contributions (18 goals, 13 assists), which is tied for the fifth most in MLS during that time. With nine goals and 10 assists in 2023, Hernández needs one goal to become just the fourth player in club history with at least double-digit goals and assists in a single season.
After the Crew jumped out to a 1-0 lead, Hernández doubled the advantage in the 22nd minute when he raced on to Diego Rossi's cross and scored with a diving header (Watch Here). The Colombian made it 3-0 in the 43rd minute as he calmly poked home Yaw Yeboah's pass from just outside the six-yard-box (Watch Here ). Montréal managed to add a goal in the second half, but Hernández wrapped up all three points when he earned a penalty kick on the edge of the box. The Crew forward completed his hat trick in the 65th minute from the penalty spot by sending the Montréal goalkeeper the wrong way and placing his finish in the open net (Watch Here).
This is the first time Hernández has been named MLS Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire in his career and he is the second Crew player to do so this season (Lucas Zelarayán on Matchday 2). Hernández is the first Colombian player to win the award since Jhon Durán (Chicago Fire FC) took home the honor on Matchday 20 of 2022.
Columbus will return to action after the FIFA international window when they travel to face Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium on Matchday 31 on Saturday, September 16 (7:30 p.m. ET, MLS Season Pass).
The MLS Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire is selected each matchday of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio, and online media.
2023 MLS Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire Winners
Matchday Player Club
Matchday 1 Thiago Almada Atlanta United
Matchday 2 Lucas Zelarayán Columbus Crew
Matchday 3 Caleb Wiley Atlanta United
Matchday 4 Thiago Almada Atlanta United
Matchday 5 Jordan Morris Seattle Sounders FC
Matchday 6 Simon Becher Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Matchday 7 Dénis Bouanga Los Angeles Football Club
Matchday 8 Carlos Vela Los Angeles Football Club
Matchday 9 Mikael Uhre Philadelphia Union
Matchday 10 Leonardo Campana Inter Miami CF
Matchday 11 Hany Mukhtar Nashville SC
Matchday 12 Evander Portland Timbers
Matchday 13 Brandon Cambridge Charlotte FC
Matchday 14 Luciano Acosta FC Cincinnati
Matchday 15 Julián Carranza Philadelphia Union
Matchday 16 Carles Gil New England Revolution
Matchday 17 Julián Carranza Philadelphia Union
Matchday 18 Alan Pulido Sporting Kansas City
Matchday 19 Hany Mukhtar Nashville SC
Matchday 20 Damir Kreilach Real Salt Lake
Matchday 21 Ryan Gauld Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Matchday 22 Randall Leal Nashville SC
Matchday 23 Riqui Puig LA Galaxy
Matchday 24 Léo Chú Seattle Sounders FC
Matchday 25 Dániel Gazdag Philadelphia Union
Matchday 26 Diego Luna Real Salt Lake
Matchday 27 Giorgos Giakoumakis Atlanta United
Matchday 28 Thiago Almada Atlanta United
Matchday 29 Emanuel Reynoso Minnesota United FC
Matchday 30 Cucho Hernández Columbus Crew
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 5, 2023
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Short Break in Schedule Allows FC Cincinnati Time to Regroup from First Home Loss - FC Cincinnati
- Eight Atlanta United Players Receive National Team Call-Ups for September FIFA Window - Atlanta United FC
- Columbus Crew Forward Cucho Hernández Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 30 - MLS
- D.C. United Loan Defender Jacob Greene to Loudoun United FC - D.C. United
- Ashtone Morgan Joins Toronto FC Front Office - Toronto FC
- 2024 Whitecaps FC Season Memberships on Sale Now for 50th Anniversary Season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- ABC to Broadcast 2024 FCS Championship Game from Toyota Stadium in Frisco - FC Dallas
- Aaron Boupendza Earns Gabon Call-Up for Vital AFCON Qualifier - FC Cincinnati
- The Pitch: Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Seven Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call Ups - Philadelphia Union
- New York City Football Club Midfielder Maxi Moralez to Undergo Surgery for Ruptured Anterior Cruciate Ligament - New York City FC
- Messi, Callender, and Alba Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes, Kaiser Permanente Launch 11th Year of Get EQ Fit Program - San Jose Earthquakes
- Evander Named to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 30 - Portland Timbers
- Philadelphia Union Academy Announce Technical Staff Changes - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Academy Announces Staff and Competitions for 2023-24 Season - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Part Ways with Head Coach Robin Fraser - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew Waive Midfielder Luis Diaz - Columbus Crew SC
- Charlotte FC's Brian Romero & Nimfasha Berchimas Earn U-17 U.S. Men's National Team Call Up - Charlotte FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.