Pirates Defeat Sound Tigers 3-1April 19, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers Press Release
Neither team scored in the first period, but both squads had close calls firing shots off of posts. Portland's Mathieu Brodeur sent a slap shot off of the iron during a Pirates power play, and Bridgeport's Blair Riley also snapped a shot off of the left post midway through the period. The Sound Tigers outshot the Pirates 11-4 in the opening frame, but the two sides remained scoreless through 20 minutes.
The Sound Tigers appeared to take the lead midway through the second period on the power play when Matt Donovan sent a wrist shot through traffic past Portland goaltender Mark Visentin. However, referee Trent Knorr ruled that part of Brandon DeFazio's skate was in the Portland crease, nullifying the go-ahead goal.
The Pirates broke the deadlock 58 seconds into the final period, when Evan Brophey skated in on goaltender Rick DiPietro and backhanded the puck home for his eighth goal of the season.
Strome brought the Sound Tigers even 6:04 later. Defenseman Andrey Pedan had his shot blocked in the left faceoff circle of the Portland zone, but Strome gathered the loose puck and fired through goaltender Mark Visentin's legs for his second goal of the season to tie the game at one.
Brown netted the game-winner on a 2-on-1 after Matt Donovan was unable to corral a bouncing puck at the Portland blue line. Portland's leading scorer gathered the deflected puck at the Sound Tigers blue line, skated towards the slot and fired over DiPietro's blocker for his 28th goal of the season to give the Pirates the lead. Brown clinched the win for Portland at 19:45, flipping the puck from his blue line high in the air and into an empty Sound Tigers net to round out the scoring.
The Sound Tigers return to action tomorrow when they return to Webster Bank Arena to face the Providence Bruins at 7:00 p.m.
NOTES: DiPietro made 16 saves and falls to 9-9-0; the Sound Tigers outshot the Pirates 27-19, which was the lowest shot total allowed on the road by the Sound Tigers this season ... The Sound Tigers finish the 2012-13 season with a 13-21-3-1 road record ... Nathan McIver recorded two penalty minutes, and sits eight PIMs shy of Eric Godard's single-season Sound Tigers record (295, 04-05) ... Riley Wetmore signed an ATO prior to the game, agreed to an AHL deal for 2013-14 and played center with former UMass Lowell teammate Scott Campbell on his left wing ... Quinnipiac defenseman Mike Dalhuisen and Cornell forward Greg Miller also agreed to AHL deals for 2013-14 earlier in the day, while Joey Diamond agreed to an entry-level contract for next season with the Islanders.
1. POR: Chris Brown
2. POR: Mark Visentin
3. BRI: Ryan Strome
American Hockey League Stories from April 19, 2013
- Admirals King Checkers 6-4 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Edge Phantom on Late Goal - Adirondack Phantoms
- Houston Nips Texas 4-3 in Last Ever Regular Season Showdown - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs Crush IceCaps 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hamilton Scores Twice Shorthanded Late in 4-2 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Aeros Beat Texas 4-3, Clinch Calder Cup Playoff - Houston Aeros
- Win Streak Comes to End in Second-To-Last Game of Season - Lake Erie Monsters
- Wolves Stay Alive with 5-2 Victory at Lake Erie - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Come Back, Lose Lead in Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Clinch Top Seed in Eastern Conference - Providence Bruins
- Monarchs Take Control over Senate - Manchester Monarchs
- Portland Pirates Clinch Playoff Berth - Portland Pirates
- Griffins Win Midwest Division Title - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Close Road Schedule Wth Last-Second Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Penguins Fall to Sharks at Home - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- B-Sens Fall to Monarchs, 2-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Fall in Syracuse, Now in a Four-Way Tie in Playoff Race - Norfolk Admirals
- Late Goal Leads to Devils' Victory - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Defeated by Bulldogs - St. John's IceCaps
- Flames Reassign Mark Cundari to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Edged by Barons 1-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- MVP Leads Crunch Past Admirals - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Drop Back-And-Forth Battle to Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Come Back to Defeat Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Pirates Clinch Playoff Berth with 3-1 Win over Sound Tigers - Portland Pirates
- Pirates Defeat Sound Tigers 3-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies Win Second Consecutive Sam Pollock Trophy - Toronto Marlies
- Whitney Whacks Whale with Late Tally - Connecticut Whale
- Bulldogs Annual Fan Appreciation Day to Take Place this Sunday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Diamond Agrees to Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens and B-Mets Partner for "Downtown Doubleheader" - Binghamton Senators
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly: Admirals Control Their Playoff Picture in Final Weekend - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Receive Five from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Recalls G Igor Bobkov from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Kings Assign Toffoli to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Sound Tigers Sign Three to AHL Contracts for 2013-14 Season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Syracuse Crunch Forward Tyler Johnson Named American Hockey League MVP - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Tyler Johnson Named Winner of Les Cunningham Award as AHL MVP - AHL
- Flames Recall Mark Cundari - Abbotsford Heat
- Henderson, Bang Recalled to Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Providence, Game #75 - Springfield Falcons
- AHL's Rochester Americans to Participate in 2013 Spengler Cup Tournament - AHL
- Bogosian and Everson Added for Final Weekend - Peoria Rivermen
- Pirates Look to Clinch Playoff Berth against Sound Tigers - Portland Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.