Springfield falls to FalconsFebruary 22, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers Press Release
The first period saw chances for both teams with the Falcons earning an 11-8 edge in the shots total, but Springfield netted the only goal of the opening frame to take the lead. Goaltender Kevin Poulin struggled to see through traffic in front of his crease, and Springfield defenseman Cody Goloubef sent a slap shot past Poulin for his fifth goal of the season with 5:05 remaining in the period.
Cody Bass gave the Falcons a 2-0 lead a 11:29 of the second period when he deflected Nick Drazenovic's centering feed through Poulin for his first goal of the season. Ryan Russell's wrist shot from the right half-wall fluttered through a screen past Poulin with 1:43 left in the middle frame to give the Falcons 3-0 lead following a period in which the Sound Tigers were outshot 11-2.
A seemingly normal third period turned ugly 4:27 into the final period with the first of three line brawls. Springfield's fourth-line left wing Dalton Smith instigated what became a line brawl involving the Sound Tigers top line of Nino Niederreiter, Brock Nelson and Mike Halmo and resulted in 76 penalty minutes between the two teams.
The Sound Tigers earned a power play following the initial line brawl, but Springfield scored on the Sound Tigers ensuing advantage. Andrew Joudrey was taken down shorthanded, then fired over Poulin's blocker on a penalty shot at 6:19 to put the Falcons up 4-0.
A second line brawl ensued at 7:51 after Springfield forward Dalton Prout's dangerous boarding penalty on Brandon DeFazio behind the Falcons' net, and a third skirmish broke out during a Springfield power play at 9:29 of the final period deep in the Sound Tigers' zone involving Bridgeport's Blair Riley and Nathan McIver as well as Springfield's Ryan Craig and David Savard.
Ryan Johansen scored on a 3-on-1 at 17:32 to give the Falcons a 5-0 lead, but Kirill Kabanov ended Curtis McElhinney's shutout bid 18 seconds later with his first pro goal. Kabanov picked off a pass at the Springfield blue line, skated in all alone and fired over McElhinney's glove for his first AHL goal at 17:50 of the final period. Jon Landry rounded out the scoring, sending a shot from the slot past McElhinney with 7.9 seconds left in the game.
Poulin made 26 saves in the loss, while McElhinney stopped 20 shots for Springfield.
The Sound Tigers return to action tomorrow night when they host the Manchester Monarchs at Webster Bank Arena ay 7:00 p.m. for the AHL's first ever You Can Play Night in support of the You Can Play Program, which promotes equality in sports. Fans are encouraged to arrive early for a special panel discussion led by You Can Play co-founder Patrick Burke at 5:30 in the Webster Bank Arena concourse atrium.
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2013
- Falcons Bash Sound Tigers - Springfield Falcons
- Hogs Hang on for Fourth Straight Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters Give up Late Lead En Route to Shootout Loss - Lake Erie Monsters
- Springfield falls to Falcons - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rivermen Roll over Rampage 5-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins Lose Last of Eight Meetings with Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- One of AHL's Largest Crowds Cheers Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Stars Stun Monsters in Shootout 4-3 - Texas Stars
- Rampage Tripped up at Peoria, 5-0 - San Antonio Rampage
- Dogs Edge Amerks 3-2 At Bell Centre - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Monarchs Score Catch of the Day - Manchester Monarchs
- B-Sens Beat Bears in Broome Shootout, 5-4 - Binghamton Senators
- Penguins Stun Phantoms with Late Rally - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Return Home and Fall 7-2 to Monarchs - Worcester Sharks
- Amerks Bitten by Bulldogs in Montreal - Rochester Americans
- Bears Fight Back for Point in Binghamton - Hershey Bears
- Providence Shuts out Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Bruins Extend Streak to Five - Providence Bruins
- Forward Brian Martin and Defenseman Marty Wilford Inducted into Admirals Hall of Fame - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs Sign Register - Manchester Monarchs
- Aeros Sign Phil Fox to a PTO - Houston Aeros
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Charlie Coyle from Houston - Houston Aeros
- Blues Recall Chris Porter - Peoria Rivermen
- Karlsson Reassigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Tom Sestito Loaned to Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Amerks Annual Wendy's Skate Set For Wednesday, March 6 - Rochester Americans
- Rockford and Grand Rapids Meet Tonight at BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Stone from Portland - Portland Pirates
- History of Large Crowds in Big Philly Games - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Announce Team Captains - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Swap Goalies - Chicago Wolves
- Senators Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- B-Sens Add Two to Roster - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Bridgeport, Game #49 - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins Sign Minella to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Jets Recall Julian Melchiori from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Monarchs Announce Roster Moves - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.