Beskorowany, Smith Lift Idaho Past OntarioDecember 8, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) - Idaho Steelheads
Idaho (16-5-2) has now won five consecutive games for the second time this season.
An early power play allowed Idaho to take the lead as Mathieu Tousignant deflected Matt Case's shot from the top of the circles past Chris Carrozzi at 5:27 of the first to make it 1-0. Case's assist gives him 13 points on the season, a new career high through just 23 games this season. Justin Dowling also got an assist to extend his point streak to five straight games.
Late in the first, Ontario's Colton Yellow Horn was in the right place at the right time to pounce on a loose puck and score his 15th of the season, evening the game at a goal apiece going into the first intermission.
The Steelheads took control in the second. First, it was Adrian Foster redirecting an Austin Smith shot past Carrozzi for his tenth of the season at 4:40 to make it 2-1 Idaho. Then, less than three minutes later, a bad Ontario defensive-zone turnover left a loose puck right on the stick of Smith, who buried his 11th of the season (in just 14 ECHL games) at 7:23 to make it 3-1. Austin Fyten and Adrian Foster picked up assists on the goal as Smith extended his point streak to eight games.
Ontario would inch closer on a Vincent LoVerde power-play goal midway through the third period but Beskorowany would come up huge in the closing moments to secure the win. He got a piece of a deflected puck with 45 seconds left to play to prevent a would-be game-tying goal and then made two brilliant saves at close range ten seconds later to thwart Ontario's last hopes. The Steelheads came up with a couple big clears to run the clock out on the victory.
Beskorowany picked up his sixth victory of the season, while Carrozzi saw his personal seven-game winning streak come to an end in the loss. Each team registered a power-play tally - Idaho was 1-5 on the man advantage and Ontario was 1-6.
The two teams wrap up their brief, two-game weekend series Sunday afternoon at 3 PM (Pacific) in Ontario. The game can be heard live in the Treasure Valley on KTIK (93.1 FM).
The Steelheads return home on Wednesday, December 12, to host the Alaska Aces. Tickets are available by calling the CenturyLink Arena box office at 208.331.8497 or by going online at www.idahosteelheads.com.
ECHL Stories from December 8, 2012
- Beskorowany, Smith Lift Idaho Past Ontario - Idaho Steelheads
- Cyclones Fall in Evansville, 4-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Big Third Period Propels Glads to 5-2 Win - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Orlando Shut Down by Fort Wayne, Effinger in 3-0 Defeat - Orlando Solar Bears
- Kalamazoo Ends Winless Streak with 4-3 Victory Over Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Jackals Unable to Solve Royals - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Score Three in Third Period, Knock off Road Warriors 5-2 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Johnson Leads Stingrays Past Titans on Teddy Bear Toss - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bulls Go for Weekend Split against Visiting Eagles - San Francisco Bulls
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Las Vegas Wranglers - Stockton Thunder
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings vs Walleye - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Announces Fine - ECHL
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Evansville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs Fort Wayne Komets Tonight - December 8 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Titans GameDay vs. South Carolina, Game 21 (Away 11) - December 8, 2012 - Trenton Titans
- Stingrays Game Preview: Let the Fur Fly on Teddy Bear Toss Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - December 8 - ECHL
- Bears Fly, But Eagles Soar to 5-1 Win over the Bulls - San Francisco Bulls
- Aces Slowed in 4-1 Loss to Utah - Alaska Aces
- Grizzlies Win 4-1 in Alaska - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads' Special Teams Sink Wranglers, 6-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Titans Get the Point But Not the Win; Fall to SC in OT, 3-2 - Trenton Titans
- Reign Clip Condors with 4-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Fast Start Propels Idaho Past Las Vegas - Idaho Steelheads
- No Bull: Eagles Get First Road Win of Season in San Francisco - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Comeback Falls Short in 4-2 Loss in Ontario - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.