Fronk, Dotel Go Deep In Diablos Series Opening Victory Over SoxAugust 3, 2012 - American Association (AA) El Paso Diablos
Fronk's no-doubter to right field started the scoring in the top half of the first inning. El Paso would make it a 2-0 game on Fernando Valenzuela's RBI single later in the frame.
With a 3-0 lead into the third, the Diablos chased Sox starter Ryan Mitchell (7-2) after Dotel crushed a line drive home run with Mitch Einertson on base to push the lead to 5-0. Mitchell lasted just two and a third innings and surrendered seven hits.
Meanwhile, El Paso starter Luis Chirinos won for the second time in as many starts. Chirinos pitched five and two third innings and gave up two runs on just five hits.
The Sox pulled as close as they would get with two runs in the fourth, but Chirinos and the bullpen held a dangerous offense at bay for the rest of the evening.
The win moves El Paso to within a game of the Sox in the standings and improves the team's record to 32-37. Game two of the series is scheduled for Saturday at 7:05 p.m. (6:05 MST).
American Association Stories from August 3, 2012
- RedHawks rally to top Lincoln - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- RedHawks Rally Late to Take Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes Beat Explorers in Extras - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Anderson Dominant in T-Bones' Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Lemurs Win First of Four - Laredo Lemurs
- Fronk, Dotel Go Deep In Diablos Series Opening Victory Over Sox - El Paso Diablos
- Saints Derailed by Seven Run Sixth in 8-3 Loss to Gary - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Rally Late to Take Series Opener - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- 'Cats Score Seven in Sixth in 8-3 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pheasants and Wichita Suspend Play in Seventh, - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wingnuts and Pheasants Suspended Until Saturday - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sox introduce mobile app sponsored by Sport Clips - Amarillo Sox
- RailCats Start Home Stand Friday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pheasants Win in Extras to Take Interleague Series - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Explorers win 6-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- Hitting Helps Winnipeg Take Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Hodsdon Silences AirHogs as Diablos Take Rubber Match - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Rohan Unleashed, Sinnery Sharp as 'Dogs Take Rubber Game - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.