Lemurs Rally Late to Take Series Opener
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - Despite Andres Rodriguez's three-run home run and Brian Myrow's two-run blast, the Grand Prairie AirHogs' defense and bullpen could not hold a late lead, as the Laredo Lemurs scored four times in the eighth inning to beat the AirHogs 6-5 at QuikTrip Park on Friday in the opener of their four-game series.
Laredo (33-38) scored a run in the second after a walk, single, sacrifice bunt and sacrifice fly, but got nothing else in six innings against AirHogs debutant Jake Cowan, who retired the last nine men he faced. Cowan allowed three hits and two walks but took a no-decision.
Matt Way, who had allowed one earned run in 20 innings against the AirHogs (41-31) in three previous starts this season, allowed one walk and two singles through five in this one, before being pulled after giving up two singles in the sixth. Despite Rodriguez's 0-for-10 off Way this season, the lefty was pulled in favor of Bradley Blanks (3-1), who got ahead of Rodriguez 0-2 before the AirHogs' cleanup hitter got back even at 2-2.
Rodriguez then pulled a pitch over the leftfield wall for his 12th home run of the season to give Grand Prairie the lead, but Laredo battled back almost immediately.
The Lemurs got a run on two singles and a sacrifice bunt in the seventh, before a one-out error by Bryan Frichter at short opened the door in the eighth.
Palmer Karr reached on an infield single and John Allen singled to right to tie the game, before Adam Miller (0-1) intentionally walked Javier Brito. Uriak Marquez then hit a pop-fly double to left-center to bring in two runs and give the Lemurs the lead back, before another error plated a fourth run in the inning.
Myrow's two-out, two-run homer to right cut the deficit to 6-5 in the eighth, but Rodriguez grounded back to pitcher Edwin Walker to end that frame, and Mike Benacka worked around a two-out hit batter with another comebacker to pick up his fifth save and end the game.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 3, 2012
- RedHawks rally to top Lincoln - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- RedHawks Rally Late to Take Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes Beat Explorers in Extras - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Anderson Dominant in T-Bones' Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Lemurs Win First of Four - Laredo Lemurs
- Fronk, Dotel Go Deep In Diablos Series Opening Victory Over Sox - El Paso Diablos
- Saints Derailed by Seven Run Sixth in 8-3 Loss to Gary - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Rally Late to Take Series Opener - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- 'Cats Score Seven in Sixth in 8-3 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pheasants and Wichita Suspend Play in Seventh, - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wingnuts and Pheasants Suspended Until Saturday - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sox introduce mobile app sponsored by Sport Clips - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- RailCats Start Home Stand Friday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pheasants Win in Extras to Take Interleague Series - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Explorers win 6-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- Hitting Helps Winnipeg Take Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Hodsdon Silences AirHogs as Diablos Take Rubber Match - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Rohan Unleashed, Sinnery Sharp as 'Dogs Take Rubber Game - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs