Hodsdon Silences AirHogs as Diablos Take Rubber Match
EL PASO, Texas - Scott Hodsdon threw 112 pitches to six-hit the Grand Prairie AirHogs on Thursday, as the El Paso Diablos won the rubber match of the three-game series at Cohen Stadium in a rare (for El Paso) 3-1 pitchers' duel.
Hodsdon (6-2) did not allow a hit after the fifth, struck out three and walked four and induced three double plays, including a 1-6-3 on a deflection off his own glove to finish the ballgame.
El Paso (31-37) took the lead off Josh Strawn (6-4) in the first with a two-out, two-run single by Fernando Valenzuela, Jr., and did not look back, adding a run in the sixth on a one-out single by Jermy Acey. Strawn was pulled after that and the duo of Ronnie Morales and Jakob Cunningham held the Diablos off the scoreboard the rest of the night, but the AirHogs (41-30) could not find a way back.
Bryan Frichter scored from second when leftfielder JJ Muse bobbled Keanon Simon's third-inning single, but Simon was then thrown out coming back to the bag after he slipped rounding first. That proved costly when Jairo Perez followed with a triple, and Brian Myrow couldn't bring him in with two outs.
The AirHogs had two on and two outs in the fifth but centerfielder Mitch Einertson ran down Perez's drive to right-center, and after that Grand Prairie could only muster a pair of walks of Hodsdon the rest of the night.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 3, 2012
- RedHawks rally to top Lincoln - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- RedHawks Rally Late to Take Series Opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes Beat Explorers in Extras - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Anderson Dominant in T-Bones' Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- Lemurs Win First of Four - Laredo Lemurs
- Fronk, Dotel Go Deep In Diablos Series Opening Victory Over Sox - El Paso Diablos
- Saints Derailed by Seven Run Sixth in 8-3 Loss to Gary - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Rally Late to Take Series Opener - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- 'Cats Score Seven in Sixth in 8-3 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pheasants and Wichita Suspend Play in Seventh, - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wingnuts and Pheasants Suspended Until Saturday - Wichita Wingnuts
- Sox introduce mobile app sponsored by Sport Clips - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- RailCats Start Home Stand Friday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pheasants Win in Extras to Take Interleague Series - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Explorers win 6-5 - Sioux City Explorers
- Hitting Helps Winnipeg Take Series - Kansas City T-Bones
- Hodsdon Silences AirHogs as Diablos Take Rubber Match - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Rohan Unleashed, Sinnery Sharp as 'Dogs Take Rubber Game - Lincoln Saltdogs
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs