Evansville Earns First Sweep of SeasonAugust 3, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Evansville Otters
The game was halted in the bottom of the eighth inning due to rain, clinching the fifth straight win for the Otters.
Evansville jumped ahead 4-0 following a two run home run from infielder Steve Marino in the second inning and a two-run double from outfielder DeAngelo Mack in the next inning.
Joliet rallied back for two runs in the fourth only to see Evansville surge back again for more runs.
First baseman Nick Schwaner belted a three-run home run in the fifth inning to place the Slammers behind by five runs.
Both teams would score a few more runs each only to see Evansville win when the game was officially called at 10:05 p.m. CDT.
The Otters are now 32-37 this season as the Joliet Slammers drop to 27-42.
Starting pitcher Bryce Morrow (6-6) earns the win after allowing four earned runs in 6.0 innings. Fellow starter Jim Schult (5-5) takes the loss after surrendering seven runs in 5.0 innings. There was no save in the game.
Mack finished 2-for-4 in the game with three runs batted in. Shortstop Greg FOntenot was also 1-for-1 with three runs scored.
The Otters will look for their sixth straight win on Friday night at Historic Bosse Field. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. CDT on Health Resources, Inc. night. Left-hander Matt Crim (2-7, 4.37 ERA) will start for Evansville as he will be opposed by Normal CornBelter lefty Tyler Stovall (1-7, 5.92 ERA). There will also be postgame fireworks as well, sponsored by Health Resources Inc.
Frontier League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Recchia Shuts out RiverHawks, Earns League Record - Rockford RiverHawks
- ThunderBolts win over Rockford - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Recchia Shuts out RiverHawks; Earns League Record - Rockford RiverHawks
- Grizzlies Hammer Rascals in Series Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Shut out at Gateway - River City Rascals
- Otters Win Sixth Straight Game - Evansville Otters
- Schaumburg Boomers Drop Series Opener to Slammers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Miners' Arms Contain Beach Bums - Southern Illinois Miners
- Slammers Blank Boomers to Open Series - Joliet Slammers
- Beach Bums' Bullpen Effort Not Enough - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Lake Erie's four game winning streak snapped in 9-2 loss - Lake Erie Crushers
- Barnes Flirts with No-Hitter, Wild Things Win 9-2 - Washington Wild Things
- Evansville wins 4-1 - Normal CornBelters
- August 3 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Acquire Cunniff from River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Score Nine in Eighth; Top Washington 10-6 - River City Rascals
- Evansville Earns First Sweep of Season - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.