Goldeyes Blow Late LeadJune 18, 2012 - American Association (AA) Winnipeg Goldeyes
Kaohi Downing blew the save in the ninth, allowing two runs, as the Goldeyes (19-11) lost 6-5 to the Sioux Falls Pheasants (16-14) before 2,043 fans at Sioux Falls Stadium.
Winnipeg scored one run in the top of the ninth inning on a Luis Alen fielder's choice to take 5-4 lead, but wouldn't hold up.
Down 2-0 after the first inning, the Goldeyes once in the second, twice in the fifth and once in the sixth to grab a 4-2 lead. Chris Roberson hit a two-run home run in the fifth inning to give Winnipeg its first lead of the game. It was Winnipeg's first home run in three games and second home run in its last seven games.
Sioux Falls scored twice in the seventh inning to tie the game 4-4.
Roberson and Jon Weber each had three hits for the Goldeyes, who had 10 hits and left 10 men on base.
Alex Jones took the loss, as he was on the hill in the bottom of the ninth when Sioux Falls scored the winning run, which was charged to Downing. Jack Van Leur got the final out of the top of the ninth inning for his first win of the season.
Winnipeg's lead in the North Division has now shrunk to three games over Sioux Falls and the St. Paul Saints.
The middle game of the three-game series goes tomorrow night in Sioux Falls. Southpaw Chris Salamida (1-1, 3.44) will take the ball for Winnipeg, while Sioux Falls will counter with Alan DeRatt (1-1, 4.23).
The pre-game show on TSN 1290 with Paul Edmonds begins at 6:30 p.m. Game time is 7:00 p.m.
American Association Stories from June 18, 2012
- Pheasants Walk off Winners on First-Place Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Chavez Throws a Shutout - Laredo Lemurs
- Fargo-Moorhead Whitewashes X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Goldeyes Blow Late Lead - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Holdren Homers But 'Dogs Downed Handily - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Former RailCat Chavez Shuts out 'Cats - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Grind Past Sox - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Cruise to 8-1 Victory over El Paso - Kansas City T-Bones
- Rolon Dazzles, Sheldon Homers as Saints Defeat Saltdogs 8-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Sox drop series opener 10-5 versus Wingnuts - Amarillo Sox
- RedHawks Win Fourth Straight Behind Burnside's Gem - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Diablos Offense Continues To Scuffle In 8-1 Loss In Kansas City - El Paso Diablos
- Goldeyes Make Four Roster Moves - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Free Tickets for Rattlesnakes Ticket Holders - Laredo Lemurs
- T-Bones Sign Former Atlanta Braves Prospect - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Make Roster Moves - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- DeBarr Named Pitcher of Week for Second Time - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- 'Dogs Acquire Solid Veteran Bat from El Paso - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Sioux City Explorers Reschedule Security National Bank Youth Baseball Clinic - Sioux City Explorers
- Sioux City Explorers Lang Named AA Batter of the Week - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.