Albuquerque Clubs Cubs 9-1June 16, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Albuquerque Isotopes
Albuquerque wasted no time jumping all over the Cubs, plating three runs in the very first inning. After back-to-back one-out singles by Castellanos and Josh Fields, Jerry Sands pounded a double off the wall in left, scoring both runners and giving the Isotopes a quick 2-0 lead. Sands was immediately picked up by a double from Luis Cruz, extending the lead to 3-0.
The "Topes kept up the pressure in the second inning, when Tyler Henson led off the frame with a double and was sacrificed to third by pitcher John Ely. After Matt Angle drew a walk, Castellanos smashed a double to left, plating Henson and increasing the lead to 4-0. Sands then lifted a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Angle and giving the visitors a 5-0 cushion.
Iowa scored its only run in the bottom of the second on an RBI double by Brett Jackson but Albuquerque got that tally back and more in a three-run fourth to seize total control of the contest. Angle started the uprising with a single and scored all the way from first on a double by Fields to make the score 6-1 Isotopes. After a walk to Sands, Cruz laced his second double of the game to right, plating Fields and extending the advantage to 7-1 "Topes. Cruz's two doubles on the night increased his PCL-leading total in the category to 27. Tim Federowicz then capped the frame with a sacrifice fly to right, plating Sands and lifting Albuquerque to an 8-1 lead.
Fittingly, Castellanos would provide the exclamation point on the night, crushing a solo homer in the sixth to send the "Topes to a 9-1 win.
Nine runs was plenty of support for starter Ely (7-4), who battled through 5.0 innings, allowing a run on seven hits while walking none and striking out six to earn his third victory in as many starts. Cubs starter Chris Rusin (5-5) was knocked around for eight runs on nine hits in just 3.1 inning while suffering the loss.
Albuquerque looks for a series sweep on Sunday behind lefty Michael Antonini (1-5, 5.50), who will take the mound for the "Topes against Cubs righty Chris Volstad (2-1, 5.12) in a 12:05 PM MT matinee start from Principal Park.
After a quick trip to Iowa, the Isotopes are back home this Tuesday for an action-packed eight-game homestand that includes a rally towel giveaway, free camo hats, and a Saturday fireworks extravaganza. Tickets for any Isotopes game may be purchased at the Isotopes Park Box Office, at Ticketmaster outlets, by phone at 1-800-745-3000, or on-line at www.abqisotopes.com or www.ticketmaster.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 16, 2012
- Reno Downs Tucson for Fifth-Straight Win - Reno Aces
- Zephyrs Blank Redbirds - Memphis Redbirds
- Koehler and Glover Silence Memphis - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Storm Chasers and Sounds Split Twin Bill - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Spilt Doubleheader with Storm Chasers on Saturday Night - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs Drop Sixth Straight - Iowa Cubs
- Albuquerque Clubs Cubs 9-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Offense Comes Alive in 8-5 Win - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Round Rock Express Fall to Oklahoma City 8-5 - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Activates Infielder Dewitt from D.L. - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes vs. Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- Bobby Wilson to Rehab with Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes: June 16, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Reno beats Tucson - Tucson Padres
- Aces Top Padres, 8-7 - Reno Aces
- River Cats Overpower Rainiers in 5-2 Win - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.