Playoff clinch put on hold for one night, Reber nets lone Thunder goal)March 10, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Stockton Thunder
The Thunder earned a tie for a Kelly Cup Playoff berth after Bakersfield lost in a shootout, 2-1 at Idaho. The Thunder can seize an outright clinch tomorrow if they win, lose in overtime or in a shootout or if Bakersfield loses.
Matt Reber had the only Thunder goal, scoring in his return to Maverik Center for the first time since he left Utah via a trade in January. Andrew Engelage earned the win with 30 saves.
"We didn't have our legs tonight, but we did an equal amount of poor things when we did make a good play," said Thunder head coach Matt Thomas. "I thought it was a slow game for the first 40 minutes and we had an opportunity to take over by keeping things simple. Hopefully with a better effort and better focus, we'll see more out of everybody tomorrow."
Utah went up 1-0 on Ross Carlson's second goal of the year with 7:55 left when he capitalized off a broken play and stashed a wrist shot under the crossbar from the left circle.
Reber retaliated to tie the game, 1-1 at the 8:37 mark of the second period. He corralled Gabriel Levesque's saucer pass at the right wing, raced behind the Utah defense and beat Engelage with a wrist shot from the right circle.
Following a Thunder turnover at center ice, Wahl restored the Utah lead at 2-1 with 5:40 left in the period when he buried a rebound at the left post, following Thomas Heemskerk's stop on Kory Falite from the slot.
Utah entered the game at a 2-of-35 skid on the power play but came to life with back to back man advantage goals in the third period, extending their lead to 3-1 on Colin Vock's fluke deflection at the goal mouth with 12:22 remaining.
Following a boarding penalty to Cameron Brodie, a slapshot by Ryan Turek from the high slot lifted the Grizzlies to a 4-1 advantage with 5:12 left in regulation.
Heemskerk took the loss with 33 saves.
ECHL Stories from March 10, 2012
- Grizzlies escape defeat - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Beat Stockton 4-3 for 3rd-Straight Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Refuse to Go Away in Shootout Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Burgdoerfer Tallies Late, Condors Win in a Shootout 6-5 - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Knocked off by Wranglers 4-1 - Ontario Reign
- Wranglers Regain First Place with 4-1 Win Over Reign - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Royals Take Titans to Task, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Blanked by Gladiators, 2-0 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Set Franchise Mark for Home Wins in a Season with 5-1 Victory - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Remain in First with 2-0 Win Over Cyclones - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Madore Dazzles Between The Pipes - Kalamazoo Wings
- Elmira Beats Toledo 5-1 - Toledo Walleye
- Madore Blanks Wings as Express Win 2-0 - Chicago Express
- Delmas' Shutout Streak Ends at 146:02 - Wheeling Nailers
- Sauer Stands Tall in Shootout Loss to Road Warriors - South Carolina Stingrays
- Road Warriors Shoot Down Stingrays - Greenville Road Warriors
- Kenny Ryan Recalled to Toronto Marlies - Reading Royals
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder at Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 10 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Gwinnett - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Gameday: Faith and Fun Night Tonight Vs. Greenville - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Express at Kalamazoo Tonight - Chicago Express
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Toledo - Elmira Jackals
- Blake Parlett Reassigned to Connecticut - Greenville Road Warriors
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - March 10, 2012 - Greenville Road Warriors
- ECHL Today - March 10 - ECHL
- Aces Come Back for 3-1 Win Over Eagles. - Alaska Aces
- Aces Score Three in the Third in 3-1 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Reign Lose to Wranglers 2-1 in a Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Wranglers Beat Reign in 2-1 Shootout Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Playoff clinch put on hold for one night, Reber nets lone Thunder goal) - Stockton Thunder
- Idaho Outlasts Bakersfield in a Shootout - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Beat Stockton 4-1: Win Second-Straight - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Take One Point in a 2-1 Shootout Loss to Idaho - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.