Wright K's Nine in Shutout Win vs. Winnipeg
ROSEMONT, Ill. - Gustavo Pierre homered for the third straight game, Austin Wright dominated and the Chicago Dogs evened the series against the Winnipeg Goldeyes with a 2-0 shutout win on Thursday night at Impact Field.
Wright (W, 6-7) was spectacular, allowing just two hits and two walks while striking out nine over six shutout innings. It marked the Schaumburg native's seventh start with at least eight strikeouts this season, and the left-hander has accumulated 35 whiffs over his last four starts.
Victor Roache opened the scoring in the bottom of the first with an RBI double off the left-field wall, plating Edwin Arroyo, to put the Dogs up 1-0.
Pierre then led off the bottom of the second with a solo shot, his third homer in as many games, to double the Dogs' lead.
Wright cruised with five strikeouts and just one hit allowed over the next four innings, preserving the 2-0 lead.
Casey Crosby took over in the top of the seventh and promptly hurled a 1-2-3 inning. Rich Mascheri followed suit in the eighth with a perfect frame of his own.
With the tying run at the plate, Kyle Halbohn forced Willy Garcia to strike out to cap off the game, earning his twelfth save of the season.
The Dogs will activate dominant LHP Luke Westphal (10-2, 3.03 ERA) off the disabled list for tomorrow evening's start, with first pitch set for 7:05 PM.
Fans can tune in to The Chicago Dogs Baseball Network for a live broadcast of every Dogs game, with team broadcasters Sam Brief and Henrique DaMour on the call. Follow the team on social media - @TheChicagoDogs on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram - and use the hashtag #TakeABite. For more information, visit TheChicagoDogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 22, 2019
- Byrd Spreads His Wings, Flies AirHogs to 3-2 Victory Over Sioux Falls - Texas AirHogs
- Joel Seddon Makes Canaries Debut in Loss to AirHogs - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Tie Franchise Road Win Streak Record, Win Ninth Straight Overall, 3-2 over RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Game-Tying Run Thrown out at Plate in 9th as 'Cats Drop to Saints, 3-2 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson's Complete Game Not Enough in Pitcher's Duel - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wright K's Nine in Shutout Win vs. Winnipeg - Chicago Dogs
- T-Bones Cap off Series Win - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- 'Dogs Fall in Kansas City Matinee - Lincoln Saltdogs
- One More Time: Saints Pack a Promotional Punch on Season's Final Homestand August 24-30 - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Acquire Ijames, Sign Carrizales - Kansas City T-Bones
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Big Hits Keep Explorers on Pace for Post Season - Sioux City Explorers
- Solid Pitching Prevails in Double-Header against Lincoln - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.