Wranglers receive Dest from AHL, Manzato called up by Carolina
Las Vegas, NV - The Las Vegas Wranglers announced today that defenseman Jason Dest has been returned by the Peoria Rivermen of the American Hockey League. The team also announced goalie Daniel Manzato has been recalled by the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes.
Dest returns to the Wranglers for the 2008 Kelly Cup Playoffs after making his AHL debut with Peoria over the weekend. In two games, Dest was scoreless with no penalty minutes. The rookie defenseman had four assists and 82 penalty minutes in 50 regular season games played with Las Vegas this season. The 2008 National Conference All-Star finished third on the team with a +20 rating.
Dest played four seasons at the University of Michigan. During his senior season, Dest acted as the team's alternate captain while posting collegiate highs for points with 11. Dest departed Michigan sixth on the school's all-time list for career games played with 164. The Fraser, MI native scored five goals and added 30 assists for 35 points over his collegiate career. The 22-year old also posted a +37 rating over four years, including a +23 during his sophomore season.
Manzato has been recalled by Carolina to join Team Switzerland at the World Championships in Canada. The rookie goalie is expected to miss the bulk of the 2008 Kelly Cup Playoffs after finishing fifth in the ECHL with 24 wins. For the season, Manzato posted a 24-5-6 record, becoming only the third goalie in team history to record 20 wins in a season. Manzato's 2.37 goals against average ranked seventh in the ECHL and his three shutouts tied for third overall in the league. The 2008 National Conference All-Star also finished with a .921 save percentage.
Manzato was drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes in the fifth round (#160 overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. The Swiss netminder played the last four seasons in the Swiss-A league, compiling a 67-59-14 record with a 2.94 goals against average. Prior to his time in Europe, Manzato played three seasons of junior hockey with the QMJHL's (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League) Victoriaville Tigers. During his time in Victoriaville, Manzato posted a 50-39-7 record with a 3.45 goals against average.
The Wranglers will play the Stockton Thunder in a best-of-seven series starting with Game One on Friday, April 11th at the Orleans Arena at 7:05 pm. Game Two of the series will be on Saturday, April 12th at 7:05 pm at the Orleans Arena. The series shifts to Stockton, CA for Games Three, Four, and Five. Game Three is on Sunday, April 13th at 6:00 pm at the Stockton Arena. After a four-day layoff, the series will resume in Stockton with Game Four on Friday, April 18th at 7:30 pm. If necessary, Game Five will be played on Sunday, April 20th at 4:00 pm. The series will return to the Orleans Arena for Game Six and Seven. If necessary, Game Six would start at 7:05 pm at the Orleans Arena on Tuesday, April 22nd. If necessary, Game Seven will be on Wednesday, April 23rd at 7:05 pm at the Orleans Arena.
Las Vegas Wranglers vs. Stockton Thunder - National Conference Quarter Finals (best of seven series):
Game 1: Friday, April 11th at 7:05 pm at the Orleans Arena
Game 2: Saturday, April 12th at 7:05 pm at the Orleans Arena
Game 3: Sunday, April 13th at 6:00 pm at the Stockton Arena
Game 4: Friday, April 18th at 7:30 pm at the Stockton Arena
Game 5: Sunday, April 20th at 4:00 pm at the Stockton Arena - X
Game 6: Tuesday, April 22nd at 7:05 pm at the Orleans Arena - X
Game 7: Wednesday, April 23rd at 7:05 pm at the Orleans Arena - X
X= If Necessary
2008 Kelly Cup Playoff ticket packages are available. Fans interested in purchasing playoff packages may contact the Wranglers front office at (702) 471-7825 (PUCK). Fans may purchase tickets on the Wranglers team website at www.lasvegaswranglers.com or the Orleans Arena website (www.orleansarena.com). Fans may also purchase tickets at any of the following locations in the valley: Galleria Mall, Orleans Casino showroom box office, Gold Coast Casino and the Suncoast Casino showroom box office. Tickets may be ordered by phone at (702) 284-7777.
The Wranglers play all 36 home games at the Orleans Arena, located at the Orleans Hotel and Casino at 4500 W. Tropicana Avenue. Seat packages to see the Wranglers play at the Orleans Arena for the upcoming 2008-09 season are on sale now, starting as low as $157 per seat. Call (702) 471-PUCK (7825) for more information or visit www.lasvegaswranglers.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 8, 2008
- Chiefs steamroll Bombers - Johnstown Chiefs
- Bombers Fall in Johnstown, Bringing the 2007-2008 Season to a Close - Dayton Bombers
- Gladiators Shut Out Checkers, 4-0; Lead Playoff Series 1-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones To Battle Johnstown! - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Checkers lose game one to Gladiators, 4-0 - Charlotte Checkers
- First Round Prospect O'Marra Back For Playoffs - Stockton Thunder
- Kelly Cup Field Has Five Former Champions - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Utah's Forbes Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- Salmon King wins RBK Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Devils finish on a hot streak - Trenton Devils
- Victoria's Thompson Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Cup Quest Has Storm Brewing Over Las Vegas - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays' Campbell Named In Glas Co Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Wranglers receive Dest from AHL, Manzato called up by Carolina - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors vs. Salmon Kings Playoff Preview - Bakersfield Condors
- Tickets for playoff games "B" and "C" now available - Johnstown Chiefs
- Blades get two added from AHL - Florida Everblades
- Cincinnati's Weber Receives John Brophy Award - ECHL
- Cyclones Weber Named John Brophy Award Winner - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wildcatters Prep for Playoffs - Texas Wildcatters
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Wildcatters Announce Playoff Roster - Texas Wildcatters
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Falcons Announce Playoff Roster - Fresno Falcons
- Jackson and Denny return to Gwinnett; Grimaldi Called up to AHL Peoria - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bombers Playoff Party at Cadillac Jack's Tonight - Dayton Bombers
- 'Blades Release Playoff Roster - Florida Everblades
- Blades release playoff roster - Florida Everblades
- Cincinnati Cyclones Announce Playoff Roster - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Announce Playoff Roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Usual Suspects Return to Falcons Lineup for Kelly Cup Chase - Fresno Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Wranglers Stories
- Las Vegas Wranglers to Return to the Ice for 2015-16 Season
- Wranglers' Season Comes to Close with 3-2 Game Four Loss to Aces
- Wranglers Fall in Game Three at Home to Alaska, 5-1
- Wranglers Fall to Aces in Game Two Nail-Biter, 3-1
- Wranglers Dropped by Aces in Game One, 5-1