Condors vs. Salmon Kings Playoff Preview
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Thanks in part to a hot streak down the stretch that saw Bakersfield win seven of their last nine games, the Condors will compete in the Kelly Cup Playoffs for the fourth consecutive season. As the seventh seed in the National Conference, the Condors will battle the second seed, the Victoria Salmon Kings.
The first two games will take place in Victoria, while Games 3, 4 and 5, if necessary, are scheduled for Bakersfield, and Games 6 and 7, if necessary will be back in Victoria.
Thursday, April 10 @ VIC, 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, April 12 @ VIC, 7:05 p.m.
Tuesday, April 15 @ BAK, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, April 16 @ BAK, 7 p.m.
Saturday, April 19 @ BAK, 7 p.m.*
Tuesday, April 22 @ VIC, 7:05 p.m.*
Wednesday, April 23 @ VIC, 7:05 p.m.*
* - if necessary
The Season Series
The two clubs met nine times in the regular season, with Bakersfield putting up a 3-3-3 record, including 3-0-2 in the last five meetings of the season. It has been an offense-oriented matchup, with both clubs averaging over four goals per game in the series. The Condors have the edge in goals, outscoring the Salmon Kings 40-39.
LW Mark Derlago was third in the ECHL and first among rookies with 39 goals this season. D Kevin Truelson, who missed the last three games to injury, finished tied for third in both goals (13) and points (46) for defensemen. G Yutaka Fukufuji was fifth in the league in saves (1,219). C Tim Konsorada was tied for 14th in the league with 68 points.
The Salmon Kings were one of the highest scoring teams in the ECHL this season, fourth in the league with 255 goals. Brothers Wes (42 goals) and Ash (40 goals) Goldie finished first and second in the league in goals, as well as shots on goal, this season. Ash Goldie was also tied for fifth in the ECHL with 82 points and led the league with 20 power play goals, while Wes was tied for the league lead with six shorthanded goals. LW Jordan Krestanovich ranked fourth in the league with 52 assists.
Head-to-Head Scoring Leaders
LW Mark Derlago (10g-4a-14pts)
F Andrew Ianiero (3g-9a-12pts)
LW Brett Lutes (2g-8a-10pts)
C Tim Konsorada (6g-4a-10pts)
F Sean Venedam (1g-9a-10pts)^
^on 30-day IR
C Ash Goldie (8g-9a-17pts)
RW Milan Gajic (5g-9a-14pts)*
LW Jordan Krestanovich (3g-8a-11pts)
LW Kevin Estrada (3g-7a-10pts)
*currently in AHL
Of Victoria's 39 goals in the series, 17 of them have come on the power play where they are averaging 29.8% against Bakersfield. The Condors, who finished the year ranked 10th in the ECHL at 18.3% on the season, were slightly better against Victoria, scoring 10 PPG at a 19.6% clip. The Salmon Kings were third in the league this season at 20.8% with the man advantage, but also surrendered a league-high 17 shorthanded goals. Bakersfield was fifth in the league with 13 SHG this season, five of which came in the season series with Victoria.
Home Ice Advantage
Bakersfield finished fifth in the ECHL in average attendance at 5,627, while Victoria pulled in 10th in the league at 4,870. The Salmon Kings had the fifth highest number of wins in the league at home, going 24-7-5. The Condors went 13-17-6 on home ice, but finished 4-0-1 in their last five at Rabobank Arena.
As a team, Victoria is a +27 at the Save-On-Foods Center, where they've outscored their opponents 143-104 but they are a staggering -130 on the road where they have been outscored 127-112.
Notes from The Nest:
The 2008 Kelly Cup Playoffs are bracketed this season, with no reseeding after each round. That means the winner of the Condors/Salmon Kings series will move on to face the winner of the Fresno/Utah series. For a complete playoff bracket, click here.
All Condors games, home and away, can be heard live on the new ESPN Radio 1230 with "The Voice of the Condors" Kevin Bartl. "Condors Countdown" begins 15 minutes before the drop of the puck.
How to get tickets
Fans can now purchase the Playoff 4-Pack and the new "10-for-$10" group outing, so you don't miss any of the playoff action. The Playoff 4- Pack starts as low as $28 per person and secures your seat for the first four Condors home playoff games. The "10-for- $10" gives fans the opportunity to purchase 10 or more lower bowl tickets for any first round home playoff game for just $10 apiece. Act now as this special "10-for-$10" offer ends this Thursday, April 10. Individual playoff tickets went on sale to the general public this morning at 10 a.m.
For more information or to reserve your tickets, visit bakersfieldcondors.com or call 324-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 8, 2008
- Chiefs steamroll Bombers - Johnstown Chiefs
- Bombers Fall in Johnstown, Bringing the 2007-2008 Season to a Close - Dayton Bombers
- Gladiators Shut Out Checkers, 4-0; Lead Playoff Series 1-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones To Battle Johnstown! - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Checkers lose game one to Gladiators, 4-0 - Charlotte Checkers
- First Round Prospect O'Marra Back For Playoffs - Stockton Thunder
- Kelly Cup Field Has Five Former Champions - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Utah's Forbes Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- Salmon King wins RBK Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Devils finish on a hot streak - Trenton Devils
- Victoria's Thompson Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Cup Quest Has Storm Brewing Over Las Vegas - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays' Campbell Named In Glas Co Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Wranglers receive Dest from AHL, Manzato called up by Carolina - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Condors vs. Salmon Kings Playoff Preview - Bakersfield Condors
- Tickets for playoff games "B" and "C" now available - Johnstown Chiefs
- Blades get two added from AHL - Florida Everblades
- Cincinnati's Weber Receives John Brophy Award - ECHL
- Cyclones Weber Named John Brophy Award Winner - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Wildcatters Prep for Playoffs - Texas Wildcatters
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Wildcatters Announce Playoff Roster - Texas Wildcatters
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Falcons Announce Playoff Roster - Fresno Falcons
- Jackson and Denny return to Gwinnett; Grimaldi Called up to AHL Peoria - Atlanta Gladiators
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bombers Playoff Party at Cadillac Jack's Tonight - Dayton Bombers
- 'Blades Release Playoff Roster - Florida Everblades
- Blades release playoff roster - Florida Everblades
- Cincinnati Cyclones Announce Playoff Roster - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Announce Playoff Roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Usual Suspects Return to Falcons Lineup for Kelly Cup Chase - Fresno Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bakersfield Condors Stories
- Condors Cooper Marody to Release Song to Benefit the Colby Cave Memorial Fund
- Condors to Honor Healthcare Heroes/Essential Workers Opening Weekend
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Condors to Host Virtual Fun Run to Benefit Special Olympics
- Condors Sign Stukel and Kaldis to AHL Deals