Wood Ducks Go Ahead Late, Hang On To Beat Birds
Myrtle Beach, S.C. - With the Wood Ducks ahead by a run in the ninth inning and the tying and go-ahead runs on base, and two out, Cole Uvila came out of the bullpen and got Cam Balego to fly out to end the ballgame, preserving a 5-4 comeback win over the Pelicans.
Down East (49-19) has now won 16 of their last 18 ballgames, picking up their 16th comeback win, and improving to 10-2 against Myrtle Beach (20-45) this year.
The Pelicans struck first with an unearned run in the first inning against Jake Latz. Carlos Sepulveda lined a one out double, and on the same play moved to third on an errant throw into second. Later in the inning, Balego lifted a sac fly to score him and put the Pelicans ahead, 1-0.
Latz would work five innings, giving up two unearned runs on three hits, he walked two and struck out seven.
Down East would answer in the second. Javier Assad gave up two walks and a single to load the bases, and then Julio Pablo Martinez walked to force in a run and tie the score at 1-1.
Assad worked four innings, giving up a run on two hits, he walked three and struck out four, and did not factor in the decision.
The Pelicans then responded in the third. Zach Davis led off with a walk, stole second, and moved to third on an throw that bounced into center field. He then came into score on a sac fly from Miguel Amaya to make it 2-1 Pelicans.
The Woodies went ahead for the first time in the sixth when Diosbel Arias walked, and Sam Huff followed with a two run homer to left-center to make it 3-2. It was Huff's fifth homer of the year with the Wood Ducks, and 20th overall on the season.
Myrtle Beach would draw even in the eighth. Sepulveda was hit by a pitch to lead off, and moved to third on a fielder's choice one batter later. He would then come into score on a fielder's choice from Grant Fennell, tying the game 3-3.
Down East would go ahead one final time in the ninth. Yanio Perez looped a leadoff single to right, and Martinez followed with a double to left to put the Woodies back in front against Tyler Peyton (loss, 0-2). Martinez would then move to third on a balk and come into score on a back-pick that got into left field, putting the Woodies on top, 5-3.
After battling through the eighth, Jefferson Medina (win, 1-0) came back on for the ninth. He got two quick outs, but then allowed back to back singles, with Sepulveda plating Davis to make it 5-4. Then after a walk to Amaya, Corey Ragsdale called on Uvila (save, 1) to get the final out.
The series continues Saturday when the Wood Ducks send righty Reid Anderson (3-2, 3.64) to the mound to face off with Pelicans lefty Luis Lugo (1-3, 3.80). First pitch is set for 6:05 p.m., and the pregame show will begin at 5:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Red Sox Sweep Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Adams Smashes Grand Slam, Launches Woodpeckers to Victory - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Carolina Falls 6-2 as Winston-Salem's Walker Hits for Cycle in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Down East's Two-Run Ninth Propels Woodies to Victory over Birds - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Go Ahead Late, Hang On To Beat Birds - Down East Wood Ducks
- Adams' Slam Lifts Woodpeckers over P-Nats - Potomac Nationals
- Pratto and Martinez Lead Wilmington to Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Melendez, Pratto Lead Blue Rocks Past Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- RHP Manuel Rodriguez placed on the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats to Celebrate Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 35th Anniversary Night - Potomac Nationals
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 14 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 14 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Celebrate Office Space 20th Anniversary Night on Friday, June 21st - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Statement on Delay of 2020 Season
- Down East Wood Ducks to Host ECU vs UNCW Baseball Game, April 14
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year