Adams' Slam Lifts Woodpeckers over P-Nats
Fayetteville, NC - The Potomac Nationals (29-36) took an early lead Friday night in game two of their series against the Fayetteville Woodpeckers (30-37), but a grand slam from 1B Jake Adams proved to be the difference in the ballgame in a 6-4 Woodpeckers victory.
LHP Carson Teel (L, 2-1) completed 5.0 innings on a career-high 88 pitches, but allowed the Adams grand slam near the end of his outing as he was handed just the second loss of his professional career.
Fayetteville took an immediate lead in the first inning, as CF Jacob Meyers doubled on the first pitch Teel delivered and scored on a sacrifice fly from 3B Colton Shaver. Potomac tied the game 1-1 in the third when C Jakson Reetz reached on a Shaver error and RF Gage Canning hit a two-out RBI triple to right field.
In the fourth, the P-Nats loaded the bases with no outs off Fayetteville RHP Austin Hansen and brought all three runs home to take a 4-1 lead. SS Osvaldo Abreu lined a two-run single to center, and CF Armond Upshaw executed a successful safety squeeze to drive in another run.
Teel's fifth inning started ominously, as Upshaw misread a fly ball from SS Miguelangel Sierra to turn it into a leadoff single. With his pitch count mounting, Teel walked Shaver to load the bases before Adams hit his team-leading 11th home run of the year. The blast gave Fayetteville a 5-4 lead, and ultimately became the game winner.
RHP Shawn Dubin (W, 2-3) relieved Hansen, and struck out eight over 5.0 one-hit innings to earn the win. He got an insurance run in the eighth as LF Marty Costes walked, took third on an Upshaw error, and scored on a wild pitch.
The Potomac bullpen was a silver lining, as RHP Luis Reyes extended his scoreless innings streak to 20.0 with a clean sixth and seventh. LHP Aaron Fletcher allowed the unearned run in the eighth, but fanned a pair as he continued to lower his ERA.
The P-Nats continue their series in Fayetteville as LHP Nick Raquet takes the mound against RHP JP France on Saturday night. First pitch from Segra Stadium is set for 6:00, with the P-Nats Leadoff Show beginning at 5:45 on the Potomac Nationals Baseball Network. Fans can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com or on the TuneIn Radio App.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets and mini plans are now on sale. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Red Sox Sweep Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Adams Smashes Grand Slam, Launches Woodpeckers to Victory - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Carolina Falls 6-2 as Winston-Salem's Walker Hits for Cycle in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Down East's Two-Run Ninth Propels Woodies to Victory over Birds - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Go Ahead Late, Hang On To Beat Birds - Down East Wood Ducks
- Adams' Slam Lifts Woodpeckers over P-Nats - Potomac Nationals
- Pratto and Martinez Lead Wilmington to Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Melendez, Pratto Lead Blue Rocks Past Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- RHP Manuel Rodriguez placed on the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats to Celebrate Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 35th Anniversary Night - Potomac Nationals
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 14 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 14 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Celebrate Office Space 20th Anniversary Night on Friday, June 21st - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- Potomac Nationals Players Recognized in 2019 Minor League Awards
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents