Down East's Two-Run Ninth Propels Woodies to Victory over Birds
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans put the tying run in scoring position in the bottom of the ninth inning, but fell 5-4 to the Down East Wood Ducks in the second game of the series on Friday night from TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
The Pelicans (20-45) started the scoring early on Friday when they plated a run in the first inning. Carlos Sepulveda doubled in the first and advanced to third on an error before Cam Balego drove him in on a sacrifice fly that made it 1-0 Pelicans.
Down East (49-19) responded with a run of their own in the second inning. Javier Assad loaded the bases on a pair of walks and a single and Julio Pablo Martinez drew a bases-loaded walk that knotted the game at 1-1.
In the third, the Pelicans retook a 2-1 lead on a sacrifice fly from Miguel Amaya .
Sam Huff boosted the Woodies back in front in the sixth inning when he blasted a two-run homer that made it 3-2 in favor of Down East.
Trailing 3-2 entering the eighth inning, the Pelicans mustered a comeback to tie the game at three.
The Pelicans loaded the bases on a hit by pitch, a single and a walk to set the scene for Grant Fennell who grounded into a fielder's choice, but brought in a run on the play and evened the game at 3-3.
In the top of the ninth inning, the Down East Wood Ducks plated two runs to retake a 5-3 lead.
Yanio Perez looped a single into left field and advanced to second on a passed ball to set up Martinez for an RBI double to left that gave the Woodies a 4-3 lead. After Martinez advanced to third on a balk from Tyler Peyton (0-2), he came in to score on a throwing error from Miguel Amaya and Down East took a 5-3 lead into the bottom of the ninth inning.
The Pelicans cut into the lead in the ninth inning when Zach Davis singled with two outs in the frame, stole second and scored on a single from Sepulveda.
After a walk to Miguel Amaya, Cole Uvila retired Balego to close out the ballgame and save the 5-4 win for the Woodies.
The Pelicans will look to take game three of the series on Saturday night at 6:05 p.m. LHP Luis Lugo (1-3, 3.80) takes the hill for the Birds against RHP Reid Anderson (3-2, 3.64) for the Wood Ducks.
Saturday will also be an Embrace Veterans Saturday presented by Embrace Hospice in addition to a Palmetto State Saturday. South Carolina fans receive $3 off of their game ticket by showing their local ID at the Anderson Brothers Bank Box Office, courtesy of Food Lion, Sparks Toyota, WMBF, The Sun News and NASH FM. The night will also include the Locals Dice Roll Extravaganza where, each Saturday, one local fan will have a chance to win up to $25,000 courtesy of HTC and Sparks Toyota and a Postgame Fireworks Extravaganza, presented by East Coast Pyrotechnics. Additionally, Saturday will be Deaf Awareness Night. In an effort to create an inclusive experience for members of the deaf community, sign language interpreters will be infused into the Pelicans' gameday experience and Matt "The Hammer" Hamill will be in attendance as the Pelicans celebrate their second-annual Deaf Awareness Night.
The contest will be locally televised on The CW21 and MiLB.tv, with coverage beginning at 6:00 p.m. A radio broadcast will begin at 5:50 on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, TuneIn and the MiLB First Pitch app.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Red Sox Sweep Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Adams Smashes Grand Slam, Launches Woodpeckers to Victory - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Carolina Falls 6-2 as Winston-Salem's Walker Hits for Cycle in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Down East's Two-Run Ninth Propels Woodies to Victory over Birds - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Go Ahead Late, Hang On To Beat Birds - Down East Wood Ducks
- Adams' Slam Lifts Woodpeckers over P-Nats - Potomac Nationals
- Pratto and Martinez Lead Wilmington to Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Melendez, Pratto Lead Blue Rocks Past Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- RHP Manuel Rodriguez placed on the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats to Celebrate Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 35th Anniversary Night - Potomac Nationals
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 14 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 14 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Celebrate Office Space 20th Anniversary Night on Friday, June 21st - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.