Melendez, Pratto Lead Blue Rocks Past Hillcats
Lynchburg, Va. - The Lynchburg Hillcats couldn't complete their comeback effort on Friday against the Wilmington Blue Rocks, dropping the game 3-1.
For the second game in a row, the Hillcats (32-33) failed to score until late in the game, and it was their downfall against the Blue Rocks (42-25).
Much like Thursday night's game, the Hillcats and Blue Rocks got strong starts from their staff. It wasn't until the top of the sixth that Wilmington would break through. Brewer Hicklen led off the frame with a single. MJ Melendez followed that up with an RBI triple to give the Blue Rocks a 1-0 lead. A sacrifice fly by Nick Pratto plated Melendez and extended the Wilmington advantage to 2-0.
Lynchburg would answer back in the bottom of the sixth inning. Mike Rivera led off the inning with a double, just the second Hillcats hit to that point. A Luke Wakamtsu single put runners on the corners with one away, and Steven Kwan hit a sacrifice fly of his own to cut the deficit to 2-1.
In the top of the eighth, Pratto came up to the dish and crushed a fly ball over the right field fence for his second homer of the season, pushing the Wilmington lead to 3-1, which they would hold for good.
Juan Hillman (Loss, 3-6) gave up two earned runs on eight hits in 5.2 innings of work. Dakody Clemmer surrendered a run in two innings, and Hector Hernandez fired 1.1 scoreless frames.
Marcelo Martinez (Win, 4-2) gave up an earned run in six innings of work while punching out seven. Josh Mitchell and Tad Ratliff (Save, 14) tossed three scoreless innings of relief to close out the game.
The Hillcats are back at it on Saturday against the Blue Rocks. Taking the mound for Lynchburg will be left-hander Adam Scott (3-6, 3.33) while Wilmington will send out left-handed starter Rito Lugo (0-1, 2.33). First pitch is set for 6:00 p.m.
Max Gun and Anders Jorstad will be on the air at 5:50 p.m. with the Hillcats pre-game show on TuneIn Radio and the Radio434 App.
Home stand highlights include Sparkling Saturday and Sandlot Sunday. Saturday's postgame fireworks show will be presented by Hometown Sales & Leasing Lynchburg & Madison Heights. On Sunday, kids will be able to run the bases post-game.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144, or visit the City Stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Red Sox Sweep Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Adams Smashes Grand Slam, Launches Woodpeckers to Victory - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Carolina Falls 6-2 as Winston-Salem's Walker Hits for Cycle in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Down East's Two-Run Ninth Propels Woodies to Victory over Birds - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wood Ducks Go Ahead Late, Hang On To Beat Birds - Down East Wood Ducks
- Adams' Slam Lifts Woodpeckers over P-Nats - Potomac Nationals
- Pratto and Martinez Lead Wilmington to Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Melendez, Pratto Lead Blue Rocks Past Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- RHP Manuel Rodriguez placed on the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 14 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats to Celebrate Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 35th Anniversary Night - Potomac Nationals
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 14 at Carolina) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 14 vs. Down East - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- June 14 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Celebrate Office Space 20th Anniversary Night on Friday, June 21st - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.