Wolves Win Eighth Straight at Home
ROSEMONT, Illinois - Forward Tye McGinn scored 1:43 into overtime to lift the Chicago Wolves over the Milwaukee Admirals 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at Allstate Arena.
McGinn caught a pass in stride from forward Stefan Matteau, split a pair of Admirals and sent a backhand a shot over goaltender Tom McCollum's blocker to seal the Wolves' eighth consecutive home win.
Forward Curtis McKenzie also scored for Chicago (36-18-5-2) while goaltender Oscar Dansk (19-9-3) recorded 16 saves as the Wolves increased their Central Division lead over Grand Rapids to 3 points.
"I've got to give credit to our guys," said Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson. "They just battled and competed really, really hard tonight. It was a real, real team game. Guys stepped up and they were playing the right way. They played together. This whole weekend, they played together."
Adam Helewka scored for Milwaukee (25-24-13-1) while netminder Tom McCollum (9-10-10) saved 31 of 33 shots.
Helewka got Milwaukee on the board first, scoring a power-play goal at the 2:16 point of the first period, but the Wolves evened up the score in the first half of the second frame.
Forward Tyler Wong caught a stretch pass from defenseman Dylan Coghlan and skated into the Milwaukee zone before dishing a cross-ice pass to McKenzie on the right side. McKenzie settled the puck before shooting it over McCollum's glove at the 7:23 mark of the second period.
The Wolves continue their homestand at 7 p.m. on Friday, March 15, and Saturday, March 16. The first 2,500 fans Friday receive a Wolves Koozie, courtesy of Sport Clips, and the first 2,500 fans Saturday get a Wolves toboggan hat, courtesy of Jewel-Osco. To find the best ticket specials, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2019
- Stars Edge Rampage for Weekend Sweep - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Steamroll Rampage in 7-4 Victory - Texas Stars
- Barracuda's Late-Game Heroics Lead to Shootout Victory - San Jose Barracuda
- Hogs Nab Point in 2-1 OT Loss to Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Fall in Shootout at San Jose, 5-4 - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Earn Important Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Smith makes season-high 40 saves in only trip to Toronto this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Win Eighth Straight at Home - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Prevail over Rockford in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Complete Perfect Weekend with 6-1 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Lettieri's Hat Trick Not Enough for Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith-Pelly Hat-Trick Leads Bears Past Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Fall 3-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Popugaev Scores Again in 6-1 Loss at Rochester - Binghamton Devils
- Driedger & Penalty Kill Come up Huge in 3-1 Road Win at Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Split Weekend Series with Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Sign Forward Derek Barach to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Phantoms for 4-0 Victory - Charlotte Checkers
- Stockton Faces San Jose Sunday at the SAP Center - Stockton Heat
- Sens Loan Gustavsson to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nylander - Rochester Americans
- Flames Recall Quine from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Return to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Face Marlies Today on NHL Network - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners Fall to Ontario as Bunting Records 100th Point with Franchise - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Sweep Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Martin's 28-Save Shutout Propels Eagles to Sixth-Straight Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar, Griffins Shut Down Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barracuda Stumble at Home, Fall 7-1 to Bakersfield - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Drops 4-1 Contest to Chicago - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.