Wolves Win Eighth Straight at Home
ROSEMONT, Illinois - Forward Tye McGinn scored 1:43 into overtime to lift the Chicago Wolves over the Milwaukee Admirals 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at Allstate Arena.
McGinn caught a pass in stride from forward Stefan Matteau, split a pair of Admirals and sent a backhand a shot over goaltender Tom McCollum's blocker to seal the Wolves' eighth consecutive home win.
Forward Curtis McKenzie also scored for Chicago (36-18-5-2) while goaltender Oscar Dansk (19-9-3) recorded 16 saves as the Wolves increased their Central Division lead over Grand Rapids to 3 points.
"I've got to give credit to our guys," said Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson. "They just battled and competed really, really hard tonight. It was a real, real team game. Guys stepped up and they were playing the right way. They played together. This whole weekend, they played together."
Adam Helewka scored for Milwaukee (25-24-13-1) while netminder Tom McCollum (9-10-10) saved 31 of 33 shots.
Helewka got Milwaukee on the board first, scoring a power-play goal at the 2:16 point of the first period, but the Wolves evened up the score in the first half of the second frame.
Forward Tyler Wong caught a stretch pass from defenseman Dylan Coghlan and skated into the Milwaukee zone before dishing a cross-ice pass to McKenzie on the right side. McKenzie settled the puck before shooting it over McCollum's glove at the 7:23 mark of the second period.
The Wolves continue their homestand at 7 p.m. on Friday, March 15, and Saturday, March 16. The first 2,500 fans Friday receive a Wolves Koozie, courtesy of Sport Clips, and the first 2,500 fans Saturday get a Wolves toboggan hat, courtesy of Jewel-Osco. To find the best ticket specials, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2019
- Stars Edge Rampage for Weekend Sweep - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Steamroll Rampage in 7-4 Victory - Texas Stars
- Barracuda's Late-Game Heroics Lead to Shootout Victory - San Jose Barracuda
- Hogs Nab Point in 2-1 OT Loss to Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Fall in Shootout at San Jose, 5-4 - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Earn Important Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Smith makes season-high 40 saves in only trip to Toronto this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Win Eighth Straight at Home - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Prevail over Rockford in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Complete Perfect Weekend with 6-1 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Lettieri's Hat Trick Not Enough for Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith-Pelly Hat-Trick Leads Bears Past Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Fall 3-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Popugaev Scores Again in 6-1 Loss at Rochester - Binghamton Devils
- Driedger & Penalty Kill Come up Huge in 3-1 Road Win at Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Split Weekend Series with Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Sign Forward Derek Barach to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Phantoms for 4-0 Victory - Charlotte Checkers
- Stockton Faces San Jose Sunday at the SAP Center - Stockton Heat
- Sens Loan Gustavsson to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nylander - Rochester Americans
- Flames Recall Quine from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Return to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Face Marlies Today on NHL Network - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners Fall to Ontario as Bunting Records 100th Point with Franchise - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Sweep Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Martin's 28-Save Shutout Propels Eagles to Sixth-Straight Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar, Griffins Shut Down Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barracuda Stumble at Home, Fall 7-1 to Bakersfield - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Drops 4-1 Contest to Chicago - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Chicago Wolves Add First-Rounder Dominik Bokk
- Chicago Wolves Receive 13 from Carolina
- Chicago Wolves Partner with the #SameHere Global Mental Health Movement to Create Project Thrive
- Chicago Wolves Add Nashville Affiliation for 2020-21
- Chicago Wolves, American Hockey League Ready to Play