Iowa Drops 4-1 Contest to Chicago
ROSEMONT, ILL. - Iowa Wild (31-18-7-5; 74 pts.) ended its season-long six-game road trip with a 4-1 loss to the Chicago Wolves (35-18-5-2; 77 pts.) Saturday evening.
The Wolves took a 1-0 lead at 11:41 in the first period with the team's 39th first goal, which leads the AHL. Forward Gage Quinney won a faceoff back and forward Brooks Macek shuttled the puck to defenseman Dylan Coghlan at the right point. He wristed a puck that beat goaltender Kaapo Kahkonen (29 saves) for his 11th of the season.
At 16:14 in the opening frame, Macek added a goal to his assist to give the Wolves a 2-0 lead. Defenseman Zach Whitecloud took a shot from the blueline that Macek deflected through Kahkonen's five-hole for his 25th of the season. Quinney also earned an assist on the play.
Through 20 minutes of play, Chicago led 2-0, while both teams had 12 shots on goal.
Chicago scored the lone goal in the second period to give the home team a 3-0 lead. While on the power play, defenseman Nic Hague received a pass from defenseman Zac Leslie and one-timed a rocket over Kahkonen's glove at 2:15 for his 11th of the season. Forward TJ Tynan registered the secondary helper on the tally.
At the end of the second period, Chicago led 3-0 but Iowa led in shots 23-22.
Tynan gave Chicago a 4-0 lead at 10:49 in the third period for his second point of the game. After receiving an outlet pass from defenseman Griffin Reinhart, Tynan skated into the offensive zone, beat a Wild defender and drove to the net. He went backhand-forehand before lofting the puck top shelf for his 11th of the year.
Wild forward Kyle Rau ended the shutout bid of Chicago goaltender Oscar Dansk (28 saves) with a power-play goal at 13:14 in the final frame. Forward Cal O'Reilly sent a pass to Rau on the far post, who tapped it in for the goal. With the tally, Rau became the first player in Wild history to record back-to-back 20-goal seasons and with his primary helper, O'Reilly logged his 500th professional assist. Defenseman Michael Kapla notched his 22nd assist of the year on the play.
When the final horn sounded, Chicago had the 4-1 victory and led in shots 33-29. Iowa went 1-for-5 on the power play and 2-for-3 on the penalty kill.
Iowa returns to Wells Fargo Arena Tuesday night to take on the San Antonio Rampage. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
The Iowa Wild 2018-19 season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2019
- Stars Edge Rampage for Weekend Sweep - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Steamroll Rampage in 7-4 Victory - Texas Stars
- Barracuda's Late-Game Heroics Lead to Shootout Victory - San Jose Barracuda
- Hogs Nab Point in 2-1 OT Loss to Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Fall in Shootout at San Jose, 5-4 - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Earn Important Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Smith makes season-high 40 saves in only trip to Toronto this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Win Eighth Straight at Home - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Prevail over Rockford in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Complete Perfect Weekend with 6-1 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Lettieri's Hat Trick Not Enough for Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith-Pelly Hat-Trick Leads Bears Past Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Fall 3-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Popugaev Scores Again in 6-1 Loss at Rochester - Binghamton Devils
- Driedger & Penalty Kill Come up Huge in 3-1 Road Win at Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Split Weekend Series with Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Sign Forward Derek Barach to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Phantoms for 4-0 Victory - Charlotte Checkers
- Stockton Faces San Jose Sunday at the SAP Center - Stockton Heat
- Sens Loan Gustavsson to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nylander - Rochester Americans
- Flames Recall Quine from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Return to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Face Marlies Today on NHL Network - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners Fall to Ontario as Bunting Records 100th Point with Franchise - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Sweep Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Martin's 28-Save Shutout Propels Eagles to Sixth-Straight Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar, Griffins Shut Down Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barracuda Stumble at Home, Fall 7-1 to Bakersfield - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Drops 4-1 Contest to Chicago - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Takes 2-0 Series Lead with 6-1 Win Tuesday
- Iowa Wild Captures Team's First Calder Cup Playoffs Win
- Iowa Wild Signs Three to Amateur Try-Out Agreements
- Iowa Wild Goaltender Andrew Hammond Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
- Iowa Wild Announces First Round Playoff Schedule