Popugaev Scores Again in 6-1 Loss at Rochester
ROCHESTER - The Devils were unable to come back from a three-goal first period deficit against the Rochester Americans, falling 6-1 on the road, Sunday evening.
Mirroring the start of last night's game, the Devils carried play early, only to find themselves trailing after the opening 20 minutes. Taylor Leier got Rochester on the board 11:02 into the first period. Leier received a cross-ice pass from Remi Elie on a three-on-two and fired a shot just under Evan Cormier's blocker.
The Americans extended their lead to 2-0 with 4:13 remaining in the opening frame. Elie entered the Devils zone on a shorthanded rush and beat Cormier with a wrist shot from the faceoff dot. Rochester tacked on a third goal before the end of the first, as Matt Tennyson wired a wrist shot from just below the blueline. Binghamton entered the intermission facing a 3-0 deficit.
Binghamton answered on the power play 2:31 into the second period after Kevin Porter was penalized with a five-minute major for interference on Josh Jacobs. Nikita Popugaev scored his second American Hockey League goal in as many nights, collecting a nifty drop pass from Ryan Schmelzer and beating Scott Wedgewood on the backhand from the slot. Brett Seney earned an assist as well.
Rochester pushed their lead back to three late in the third period on a power play of their own. Following a chaotic scramble in the Devils crease, Lawrence Pilut teed up a slap shot from the point and fired the puck past a screened Cormier, making it a 4-1 game at the end of two.
C.J. Smith and Rasmus Asplund added goals for the Amerks in the third period, as Rochester downed Binghamton by a score of 6-1.
After two weeks on the road the Devils return home Friday, March 29 and Saturday, March 30. Friday against Springfield, the Devils have a special guest appearance from WWE Hall of Famer Mark Henry. Fans ca get a special VIP meet-and-greet package to hang out with the former World Heavyweight Champion. Then, Saturday is Superhero Night where fans can get a special Superhero Pack that comes with a FREE Devils Superhero Cape. Also, it's the final FREE postgame skate with the players. Call or text "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Binghamton Devils full season memberships are now available for the 2019-20 season! Get great benefits such as FREE New Jersey Devils NHL tickets,exclusive access to Devils players, a brand new referral program, gift cards, and much more! For information on becoming a member, text "MEMBER" to 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils vs. the Rochester Americans
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2019
- Stars Edge Rampage for Weekend Sweep - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Steamroll Rampage in 7-4 Victory - Texas Stars
- Barracuda's Late-Game Heroics Lead to Shootout Victory - San Jose Barracuda
- Hogs Nab Point in 2-1 OT Loss to Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Fall in Shootout at San Jose, 5-4 - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Earn Important Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Smith makes season-high 40 saves in only trip to Toronto this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Win Eighth Straight at Home - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Prevail over Rockford in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Complete Perfect Weekend with 6-1 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Lettieri's Hat Trick Not Enough for Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith-Pelly Hat-Trick Leads Bears Past Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Fall 3-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Popugaev Scores Again in 6-1 Loss at Rochester - Binghamton Devils
- Driedger & Penalty Kill Come up Huge in 3-1 Road Win at Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Split Weekend Series with Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Sign Forward Derek Barach to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Phantoms for 4-0 Victory - Charlotte Checkers
- Stockton Faces San Jose Sunday at the SAP Center - Stockton Heat
- Sens Loan Gustavsson to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nylander - Rochester Americans
- Flames Recall Quine from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Return to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Face Marlies Today on NHL Network - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners Fall to Ontario as Bunting Records 100th Point with Franchise - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Sweep Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Martin's 28-Save Shutout Propels Eagles to Sixth-Straight Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar, Griffins Shut Down Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barracuda Stumble at Home, Fall 7-1 to Bakersfield - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Drops 4-1 Contest to Chicago - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Devils Stories
- Street Named Devils' 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Devils, Americans, Comets, and Crunch to Host Blood Drives
- AHL Suspends Season - Statement from the Binghamton Devils
- Devils Roll By Amerks, 5-2
- Devils' Ryan Schmelzer Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week