Martin's 28-Save Shutout Propels Eagles to Sixth-Straight Win
SAN DIEGO, CA. - Colorado Eagles goaltender Spencer Martin stopped all 28 shots he faced to earn his third shutout of the season, while forwards A.J. Greer and Tim McGauley each notched a goal and an assist, as Colorado defeated the San Diego Gulls 2-0 on Saturday. The shutout was the second straight for the Eagles who swept the two-game set with the Gulls. The victory also extends Colorado's winning streak to six-consecutive games with two points in the standings. The Eagles now sit just two points back of second place in the Pacific Division, while also widening their lead on Tucson to seven points for fourth place in the division.
The opening twenty minutes would see a pair of fights, as Mason Geertsen would drop the gloves with Corey Tropp and Logan O'Connor would earn a fighting major for his tilt with Trevor Murphy. Colorado would collect the game's first goal when McGauley deflected a shot from Greer into the back of the net to give the Eagles a 1-0 edge at the 12:27 mark of the first period. Colorado would take that 1-0 advantage into the first intermission.
The second period would see each team earn a power play, but the penalty kill units for the Eagles and Gulls would respond by shutting down those opportunities. Colorado outshot San Diego 10-8 in the middle frame and carried its 1-0 lead into the locker room after 40 minutes of play.
The Eagles would keep the clamps down defensively in the third period, outshooting the Gulls, 11-6. It would also see Greer add a little insurance when he capped off a breakaway with a beautiful backhander from the top of the crease to give Colorado a 2-0 advantage with 2:54 remaining in the contest. San Diego would pull goaltender Kevin Boyle in favor of the extra attacker, but the Eagles would slam the door on the Gulls to preserve the 2-0 win.
Colorado finished the night going 0-for-4 on the power play, but were a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill.
The Eagles return to action when they host the Ontario Reign on Tuesday, March 12th at 7:05pm MT at the Budweiser Events Center.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2019
- Stars Edge Rampage for Weekend Sweep - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Steamroll Rampage in 7-4 Victory - Texas Stars
- Barracuda's Late-Game Heroics Lead to Shootout Victory - San Jose Barracuda
- Hogs Nab Point in 2-1 OT Loss to Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Fall in Shootout at San Jose, 5-4 - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Earn Important Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Smith makes season-high 40 saves in only trip to Toronto this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Win Eighth Straight at Home - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Prevail over Rockford in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Complete Perfect Weekend with 6-1 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Lettieri's Hat Trick Not Enough for Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith-Pelly Hat-Trick Leads Bears Past Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Fall 3-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Popugaev Scores Again in 6-1 Loss at Rochester - Binghamton Devils
- Driedger & Penalty Kill Come up Huge in 3-1 Road Win at Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Split Weekend Series with Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Sign Forward Derek Barach to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Phantoms for 4-0 Victory - Charlotte Checkers
- Stockton Faces San Jose Sunday at the SAP Center - Stockton Heat
- Sens Loan Gustavsson to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nylander - Rochester Americans
- Flames Recall Quine from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Return to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Face Marlies Today on NHL Network - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners Fall to Ontario as Bunting Records 100th Point with Franchise - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Sweep Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Martin's 28-Save Shutout Propels Eagles to Sixth-Straight Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar, Griffins Shut Down Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barracuda Stumble at Home, Fall 7-1 to Bakersfield - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Drops 4-1 Contest to Chicago - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.