P-Bruins Fall 3-1 to T-Birds
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fall to the Springfield Thunderbirds 3-1 Sunday afternoon in their last game of three-game weekend at home. The P-Bruins got their lone goal from Urho Vaakanainen while Zane McIntyre made his 37th start of the season in net.
The Providence Bruins took the first period by storm when Urho Vaakanainen netted his fourth goal of the season, assisted by Trent Frederic and Anton Blidh at 7:19. Throughout the rest of the time the P-Bruins stayed tight with their defense and we're able to keep the T-Birds from scoring the remainder of the period. After a physical opening period, Providence took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
Springfield started to fight back in the first few minutes of the second period. Joel Lowry netted their first goal unassisted on a power play at 2:17, tying the game 1-1. Only a few minutes following Anthony Greco tallied their second goal, with helpers Julian Melchiori and Jonathan Ang at 3:43. Tensions were high throughout the rest of the period, but the T-Birds held onto their 2-1 lead into the the third.
Most of the third period both teams kept a good back and forth pace with each other. Springfield's Vincent Praplan, assisted by Riley Stillman and Jean-Sebastien Dea, put them on top with their third goal of the game at 12:21. The P-Bruins fought hard to regain their momentum and pulled Vladar with two minutes left, but ultimately fell to the T-Birds by a 3-1 final.
McIntyre stopped shots while Chris Driedger stopped shots. Providence was 0/4 on the power play and 4-4 on the penalty kill. The Providence Bruins will be back at the Dunkin' Donuts Center for Star Wars weekend March 22nd when they take on the Belleville Senators at 7:05 pm in the first game of the weekend.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2019
- Stars Edge Rampage for Weekend Sweep - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Steamroll Rampage in 7-4 Victory - Texas Stars
- Barracuda's Late-Game Heroics Lead to Shootout Victory - San Jose Barracuda
- Hogs Nab Point in 2-1 OT Loss to Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Fall in Shootout at San Jose, 5-4 - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Earn Important Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Smith makes season-high 40 saves in only trip to Toronto this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Win Eighth Straight at Home - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Prevail over Rockford in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Complete Perfect Weekend with 6-1 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Lettieri's Hat Trick Not Enough for Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith-Pelly Hat-Trick Leads Bears Past Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Fall 3-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Popugaev Scores Again in 6-1 Loss at Rochester - Binghamton Devils
- Driedger & Penalty Kill Come up Huge in 3-1 Road Win at Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Split Weekend Series with Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Sign Forward Derek Barach to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Phantoms for 4-0 Victory - Charlotte Checkers
- Stockton Faces San Jose Sunday at the SAP Center - Stockton Heat
- Sens Loan Gustavsson to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nylander - Rochester Americans
- Flames Recall Quine from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Return to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Face Marlies Today on NHL Network - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners Fall to Ontario as Bunting Records 100th Point with Franchise - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Sweep Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Martin's 28-Save Shutout Propels Eagles to Sixth-Straight Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar, Griffins Shut Down Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barracuda Stumble at Home, Fall 7-1 to Bakersfield - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Drops 4-1 Contest to Chicago - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener
- Bruins Assign Axel Andersson to QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats
- P-Bruins Top Hershey Bears in Overtime, 2-1
- P-Bruins Defeat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 3-0, in Season Opener
- Paul Carey Named Captain of the Providence Bruins