Nedeljkovic Blanks Phantoms for 4-0 Victory
ALLENTOWN, PA - After falling just short in the weekend's first meeting, the Checkers left no doubt in their rematch with Lehigh Valley, pounding the Phantoms 4-0 behind a shutout performance from Alex Nedeljkovic.
The netminder stood tall on all 22 shots he faced - including helping kill off six man advantages - to frustrate a powerful Phantoms offense and pick up his third shutout of the season, as well as extending his league wins lead.
While Nedeljkovic proved to be a brick wall between the pipes, Charlotte's offensive attack pulled their weight in the win as well. Nick Schilkey continued his breakout campaign by opening the scoring in the first with a beautiful finish off a slick feed from Morgan Geekie and then capping things off with a power-play strike in the third for his third multi-goal game of the season.
Newcomer Tomas Jurco banged home a rebound out front to double the lead and keep Charlotte's momentum moving forward early in the second, while Nicolas Roy ripped a quick one-timer from the slot in the third off of another dish from Morgan Geekie, who finished the night with a pair of assists.
Nedeljkovic is now tied for fifth in the AHL in shutouts this season and has nine in his career ... Nedeljkovic has not had consecutive regulation losses this season ... Schilkey is now tied for fourth on the team in goals and has 12 points in his last 10 games ... Schilkey and Carrick both extended their point streaks to four games ... Carrick has an assist in each of the last four games ... The Checkers have scored a power-play goal in four straight games ... The Checkers have killed 23 of their last 24 penalties ... The Checkers have had a two-goal scorer in each of their last three games ... Haydn Fleury missed the game due to suspension ... Janne Kuokkanen and Spencer Smallman missed the game due to injury ... Steven Lorentz and Dennis Robertson were healthy extras
The Checkers will return home for a two-game set against the Rochester Americans on Friday and Saturday to kick off a relentless stretch to games to finish the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2019
- Stars Edge Rampage for Weekend Sweep - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars Steamroll Rampage in 7-4 Victory - Texas Stars
- Barracuda's Late-Game Heroics Lead to Shootout Victory - San Jose Barracuda
- Hogs Nab Point in 2-1 OT Loss to Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Fall in Shootout at San Jose, 5-4 - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Earn Important Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Smith makes season-high 40 saves in only trip to Toronto this season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Win Eighth Straight at Home - Chicago Wolves
- Moose Prevail over Rockford in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Complete Perfect Weekend with 6-1 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Lettieri's Hat Trick Not Enough for Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Smith-Pelly Hat-Trick Leads Bears Past Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Fall 3-1 to T-Birds - Providence Bruins
- Popugaev Scores Again in 6-1 Loss at Rochester - Binghamton Devils
- Driedger & Penalty Kill Come up Huge in 3-1 Road Win at Providence - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Split Weekend Series with Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Sign Forward Derek Barach to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Phantoms for 4-0 Victory - Charlotte Checkers
- Stockton Faces San Jose Sunday at the SAP Center - Stockton Heat
- Sens Loan Gustavsson to Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Nylander - Rochester Americans
- Flames Recall Quine from Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Return to Coca-Cola Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Face Marlies Today on NHL Network - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Roadrunners Fall to Ontario as Bunting Records 100th Point with Franchise - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Sweep Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Martin's 28-Save Shutout Propels Eagles to Sixth-Straight Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rybar, Griffins Shut Down Admirals - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barracuda Stumble at Home, Fall 7-1 to Bakersfield - San Jose Barracuda
- Rampage Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Drops 4-1 Contest to Chicago - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.