Wolves Shutout Heat 2-0
Chicago, IL- The Abbotsford Heat lost to the Chicago Wolves (AHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues) 2-0 on Sunday afternoon at Allstate Arena. The Heat remain in first place in the Western Conference with a 33-17-4-1 record and 71 points.
A power play goal in the first and third period was enough for the Wolves to hand the Heat back to back losses over the weekend. Both teams were playing their third game in three days. The Heat finished their five game road-trip with a 2-2-1-0 record.
The Wolves scored the lone goal of the first period on a power play marker from Evan Oberg at the 9:21 mark. Chicago had three power play opportunities in the period and had a nine to four shot advantage after 20 minutes.
Both goaltenders in Aaron Dell and Jake Allen stopped every shot they faced in the second period. Jake Allen made eight saves, while Aaron Dell stopped six.
In the third period, the Heat put nine shots on net, but could put anything by Jake Allen. The Wolves closed out the game with a power play goal from Ty Rattie at 12:27.
Abbotsford went zero out of five on the power play and killed off five of seven Chicago man advantages.
Jake Allen picked up the shutout in goal for the Wolves stopping 21 shots, while Aaron Dell was charged the loss turning away 19 of 21 shots.
The Heat will be back in action on home ice, Friday, February 28th and Saturday, March 1st, against the defending champion, Grand Rapids Griffins. February 28th will feature the fourth $3 $2 $1 Brew Dog 'N Pop night. For tickets, please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328), or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2014
- Admiral Alums Weber, Hamhuis Win Gold - Milwaukee Admirals
- Griffins Win 1-0 Shootout Thriller - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceCaps Rally to Drop Pirates 6-5 - Portland Pirates
- Bears Fall to Syracuse in Washington AHL Showcase - Hershey Bears
- Tired Comets Fall to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves Shutout Heat 2-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Crunch Defeat Bears 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Stop Top-Ranked Heat for Second Time in 24 Hours - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 4-1 Win over Oklahoma City - Toronto Marlies
- Once Bitten, Twice Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Barons Fall to Marlies, 4-1 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Devils Complete Perfect Weekend With 2-1 Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to Sound Tigers 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Close Weekend with 3-2 Win at Springfield - Norfolk Admirals
- IceCaps Rally for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Reiter Lefts Sound Tigers past Bruins 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks Come Close But No Cigar in Manchester - Worcester Sharks
- Falcons Comeback Falls Short Versus Admirals - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Stomp Rampage 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Finish Weekend with 3-1 Loss to Hamilton - San Antonio Rampage
- Jurco, Sheahan and Fournier Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canadiens Recall Tinordi from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Assign Forward Ben Hanowski to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Four Griffins Alumni Take Silver in Sochi - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gameday: Comets at Albany - Utica Comets
- Preview: Pirates Meet IceCaps in Sunday Matinee - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Recall D Josh McFadden, Loan Rob Madore to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Hand Heat 5-3 Loss - Abbotsford Heat
- Balanced Hogs Push Streak to Nine - Rockford IceHogs
- Bruins Take Shootout Win over Pens, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Texas Tops Checkers in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Sell out Crowd Sees Texas Stars Down Charlotte Checkers in Shootout - Texas Stars
- Callahan Scores Twice in Griffins' 4-3 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- 17,585 in Philly for Adirondack Phantoms Game - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Knock off Conference-Leading Heat - Chicago Wolves
- Obie Win - Manchester Monarchs