Wolves Hand Heat 5-3 Loss
Chicago, IL- The Abbotsford Heat lost to the Chicago Wolves (AHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues) 5-3 on Saturday night at Allstate Arena. The Heat remain in first place in the Western Conference with a 33-16-4-1 record and 71 points.
The Heat saved their best period for last, but in the end it was not enough to get by the Wolves in the first meeting of the season. Brett Olson recorded his second consecutive two point effort (1-1-2) in the loss for the Heat.
The Wolves opened up the scoring on the first shift of the game with a goal from Adam Cracknell at the 26 second mark. They added to their lead at 14:33, as Alexandre Bolduc scored his eighth goal of the season. With 29 seconds to go, Chad Billins got the Heat on the board scoring his ninth goal of the season assisted by Shane O'Brien and Brett Olson.
In the second period, the Wolves made it a 3-1 game at 6:46, with a goal from Evan Oberg on the power play. Shane Harper made it a three goal lead for the Wolves at the 11:57 mark, which chased Olivier Roy from the game and made way for newly signed goaltender Aaron Dell.
51 seconds into the third period, Brett Olson cut the Heat deficit to two goals as he scored his ninth of the season assisted by Tyler Wotherspoon and Carter Bancks. At the 6:53 mark, Corban Knight scored his 14th goal of the season on the power play assisted by Evan Trupp and Markus Granlund. Ty Rattie sealed the Wolves victory with an empty net goal at 19:40.
Abbotsford went one out of seven on the power play and killed off five of six Chicago man advantages.
Matt Climie picked up the win in goal for the Wolves stopping 34 of 37 shots, while Olivier Roy was charged the loss turning away 16 of 20 shots.
The Heat finish up their current five-game road trip on Sunday, February 23rd against the Chicago Wolves. The Heat will be back in action on home ice February 28th and March 1st, against the defending champion, Grand Rapids Griffins. For tickets, please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328), or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2014
- Admiral Alums Weber, Hamhuis Win Gold - Milwaukee Admirals
- Griffins Win 1-0 Shootout Thriller - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceCaps Rally to Drop Pirates 6-5 - Portland Pirates
- Bears Fall to Syracuse in Washington AHL Showcase - Hershey Bears
- Tired Comets Fall to Albany - Utica Comets
- Wolves Shutout Heat 2-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Crunch Defeat Bears 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Stop Top-Ranked Heat for Second Time in 24 Hours - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Finish Weekend with 4-1 Win over Oklahoma City - Toronto Marlies
- Once Bitten, Twice Shore - Manchester Monarchs
- Barons Fall to Marlies, 4-1 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Devils Complete Perfect Weekend With 2-1 Win - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins Fall to Sound Tigers 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Close Weekend with 3-2 Win at Springfield - Norfolk Admirals
- IceCaps Rally for Fourth Straight Win - St. John's IceCaps
- Reiter Lefts Sound Tigers past Bruins 2-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sharks Come Close But No Cigar in Manchester - Worcester Sharks
- Falcons Comeback Falls Short Versus Admirals - Springfield Falcons
- Bulldogs Stomp Rampage 3-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Finish Weekend with 3-1 Loss to Hamilton - San Antonio Rampage
- Jurco, Sheahan and Fournier Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canadiens Recall Tinordi from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flames Assign Forward Ben Hanowski to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Four Griffins Alumni Take Silver in Sochi - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gameday: Comets at Albany - Utica Comets
- Preview: Pirates Meet IceCaps in Sunday Matinee - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Recall D Josh McFadden, Loan Rob Madore to Cincinnati - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Hand Heat 5-3 Loss - Abbotsford Heat
- Balanced Hogs Push Streak to Nine - Rockford IceHogs
- Bruins Take Shootout Win over Pens, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Texas Tops Checkers in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Sell out Crowd Sees Texas Stars Down Charlotte Checkers in Shootout - Texas Stars
- Callahan Scores Twice in Griffins' 4-3 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- 17,585 in Philly for Adirondack Phantoms Game - Adirondack Phantoms
- Wolves Knock off Conference-Leading Heat - Chicago Wolves
- Obie Win - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.