Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 20 vs. Fayetteville)
Following their seven-game road trip, the Dash take on the Fayetteville Woodpeckers for the first time in franchise history on Monday at BB&T Ballpark. First pitch is set for 7 p.m..
WINSTON-SALEM DASH (21-21) vs. Fayetteville Woodpeckers (20-23)
LHP Cristian Castillo (1-5, 4.17 ERA) vs. RHP Shawn Dubin (0-2, 9.00 ERA)
7 p.m. - BB&T Ballpark (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
Game #43 (Home Game #21)
PILKINGTON STRIKES OUT 12 IN LOSS
Dash starter Konnor Pilkington struck out 12 Wood Ducks hitters across six scoreless innings, but Down East claimed a 1-0 victory with a walk-off single by Sam Huff on Sunday afternoon at Grainger Stadium. In just his second start at the High-A level, Pilkington notched a career-high by setting down 12 Down East hitters on strikes. Over six innings of work, the former third-round pick allowed just three hits and walked two. It was the first 12-strikeout performance for a Dash pitcher since Dylan Cease struck out 12 against Lynchburg on May 1, 2018, at BB&T Ballpark. However, the Wood Ducks went on to break the scoreless tie in the bottom of the ninth. With the bases loaded and one out, Huff lofted the game-winning single into the gap in right-center.
CHECKING IN ON THE FIRST-ROUNDER
Nick Madrigal, who was selected with the fourth overall pick in last year's draft out of Oregon State University, has now posted hits in six consecutive contests. After going 1-for-3 on Sunday, Madrigal has upped his season batting line to .270/.338/.369 in 36 games played. The 22-year-old is in his second year playing for the Dash. Madrigal joined the team at the end of last year, posting a .306 batting average and a .355 on-base percentage in 26 games played. Before joining the White Sox system, Madrigal was a star for the Oregon State Beavers. After being named the Pac-12 Player of the Year as a sophomore, Madrigal was an integral piece of the OSU team that won the 2018 College World Series.
SOME GOOD TURNS IN THE ROTATION
Pilkington's turn in the rotation marked the fifth consecutive strong start for the Dash. Over this span, Dash starters have posted a 1.24 ERA. Here is a rundown of the last five starts for Winston-Salem:
LHP Cristian Castillo at MB on 5/15: 7.0IP, 1R
RHP Jorgan Cavanerio at MB on 5/16: 4.0IP, 0R
RHP Lincoln Henzman at DE on 5/17: 6.0IP, 2R
LHP John Parke at DE on 5/18: 6.0IP, 1R
LHP Konnor Pilkington at DE on 5/19: 6.0IP, 0R
UNSTOPPABLE IN MAY
Jameson Fisher currently leads the team in OPS (.809) and wRC+ (134). A fourth-round pick by the White Sox out of Southeastern Louisiana University in 2016, Fisher has been tearing the cover off the baseball in the month of May. In 15 games this month, Fisher is posting a .364/.444/.545 batting line with 10 runs scored. Fisher has specifically thrived in the four spot of the lineup this year, where he's hitting .370 in 15 games played.
STARTING TO PUT IT TOGETHER
Left-hander Cristian Castillo will make his eighth start of the season on Monday night at BB&T Ballpark. The southpaw is coming off his longest outing of the season, when he tossed seven innings and allowed four hits and one run in a loss against Myrtle Beach on May 15 at TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark. Castillo, who pitched for the Wilmington Blue Rocks in 2017 and 2018, was traded over from the Kansas City Royals to the Chicago White Sox for cash considerations on March 21. For a majority of the season, Castillo has been unlucky with balls in play, as his BABIP (Batting Average on Balls in Play) is .351.
SAME AFFILIATE, NEW NAME
For the first time this season, the Dash will square off against the Astros new High-A affiliate, the Fayetteville Woodpeckers. 2019 marks the first year of the new franchise after spending the previous two years as the Buies Creek Astros. Last year, Buies Creek won the Carolina League championship, defeating the Dash along the way by taking the Southern Division Championship Series against Winston-Salem three games to none. Entering play on Monday, the Woodpeckers are 20-23, good for fourth place in the Southern Division.
Alongside Monday's game at BB&T Ballpark, the Chicago White Sox and Houston Astros are squaring off tonight at Minute Maid Park...The Dash are 2-0 in Monday home games...Winston has scored first in just three of its 20 home contests.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 20, 2019
- Castillo, Offense Lead Dash to 6-2 Victory over Woodpeckers - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Takes High-Scoring Affair in Frederick to Start Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Big Inning Averts Late Surge - Frederick Keys
- Lynch Brilliant Again in Wilmington Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Dorowâ??s Two Dingers Leads Ducks Past P-Nats - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Blitzed 14-2 by Wood Ducks in Road Opener - Potomac Nationals
- May 20 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 20 vs. Fayetteville) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Fayetteville Woodpeckers Seek "All-Star" Fathers - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Jarren Duran Named Carolina League Player of the Week - Salem Red Sox
- Assad Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week for Second Week in a Row - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 20 at Frederick - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Homestand Preview - Potomac Nationals
- May 20 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Dash Nominated for MiLB's John H. Johnson Award
- Johnson, Vaughn Named to Premier12 Roster
- Dash's Bugno Honored as Winston Under 40 Leadership Award Recipient
- Winston-Salem to Host MiLB Innovators Summit in 2020
- Sports Business Journal Names Winston-Salem as Ninth-Best Minor League Market