Dorowâ??s Two Dingers Leads Ducks Past P-Nats
Kinston, N.C. - Ryan Dorow belted two three-run home runs, while Yohel Pozo added a solo blast, as the Woodies blew out the Nationals, 14-2, Monday.
The 14 runs scored are the most in a game this season for Down East (31-14), as are the 14 hits, and the same is true for the 12 run margin of victory.
The Woodies opened the scoring by sending 11 men to the plate in the first inning. Yonny Hernadez led off with a single, and one batter later, Leody Taveras doubled him home. After a walk to Diosbel Arias, Dorow blasted a three-run home run to left, to put the Wood Ducks up 4-0. Later in the inning, Eric Jenkins singled home a run, and with Hernadez at the plate for a second time, David Masters committed a throwing error to plate two more runs, and make it 7-0.
After a scoreless second, Malvin Pena (loss, 2-3) allowed a leadoff home run to Pozo, his fourth of the year, to lead off the third inning and make it 8-0.
Pena went three innings giving up eight runs, six earned on seven hits, hits. He walked one and struck out four.
The Woodies added to their lead in the fourth against Jeremy McKinney. They once again sent nine men to the plate in the inning, with Arias collecting an RBI doube, Sam Huff coming through with a sacrifice fly, and Julio Pablo Martinez lining an RBI single to make it 11-0.
Down East was not done. In the fifth Hernadez and Arias each reached on singles, setting up Dorow for his second blast of the night, and sixth of the season, to push the Woodies out to a 14-0 advantage.
Meanwhile Jake Latz (win, 2-1) was excellent on the mound. The Wood Ducks lefty allowed just one hit and one walk over five scoreless innings, striking out seven.
Potomac (16-27) broke up the shutout against Cole Uvila in the sixth. Alex Dunlap led off the inning with a single, and then Cole Freeman doubled to right two batters later. Aldrem Corredor would plate one run with a sac fly, wild the other would come across on an error from Yanio Perez, who led Uvila too far on a throw to first base. Uvila would go on to work three innings, giving up two runs (one earned) on three hits, he walked two, and struck out three.
Demarcus Evans then fanned the side in a perfect ninth inning, to punctuate the win.
The Woodies and P-Nats reconvene tomorrow night at 7 p.m., when righty Reid Anderson (2-0, 3.03) takes the bump for Down East, opposed by Potomac right-hander Kyle Johnston (4-4, 4.78). It's Food Lion BOGO Night where fans who purchase a ticket can get a second one free when presenting their Food Lion MVP Card. The broadcast will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio App. For tickets and more information visit woodducksbaseball.com or call (252) 686-5172.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 20, 2019
- Castillo, Offense Lead Dash to 6-2 Victory over Woodpeckers - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Takes High-Scoring Affair in Frederick to Start Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Big Inning Averts Late Surge - Frederick Keys
- Lynch Brilliant Again in Wilmington Win - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Dorowâ??s Two Dingers Leads Ducks Past P-Nats - Down East Wood Ducks
- P-Nats Blitzed 14-2 by Wood Ducks in Road Opener - Potomac Nationals
- May 20 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (May 20 vs. Fayetteville) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Fayetteville Woodpeckers Seek "All-Star" Fathers - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Jarren Duran Named Carolina League Player of the Week - Salem Red Sox
- Assad Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week for Second Week in a Row - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 20 at Frederick - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Homestand Preview - Potomac Nationals
- May 20 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Statement on Delay of 2020 Season
- Down East Wood Ducks to Host ECU vs UNCW Baseball Game, April 14
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year