Winning Streak Stopped at Four
CLINTON, IA - A four-game winning streak came to an end for the Clinton LumberKings on Saturday night at NelsonCorp Field with a 4-1 loss to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. The series opening loss to Wisconsin (35-26, 66-64) shrinks the LumberKings (37-24, 70-60) lead in the wild card to just two games.
Much of the game early on was dominated by pitching with Clinton starter Remey Reed matching Timber Rattlers starter Nick Bennett through the first six innings with just one run allowed.
Wisconsin scored the game's first run in the top of the third. Leadoff singles by David Fry and Jesus Lujano set the table for a Chad McClanahan RBI double to center.
Clinton answered the run in the bottom of the third with their lone tally of the night. Marcos Rivera opened the frame with a double and scored on a Bubba Hollins RBI single to left.
Following the Hollins the run scoring single, the offense stalled to fit an unfortunate theme where Clinton struggled with runners left on base. By games end, they left seven on base with four of them left on at third base.
Wisconsin broke the tie with a two-run rally in the seventh. Korry Howell had the big hit of the inning with an RBI triple - eventually scoring on a Thomas Dillard RBI single.
The runs were enough to hang Reed (3-3) with the loss. Over a 6.1 inning outing he allowed three runs on seven hits while walking two and striking out three.
Tyler Gilles (4-2) earned the win for the Timber Rattlers. He turned in 1.1 innings of relief work, allowing no runs on just one hits while walking one and striking out three.
In the top of the eighth, Wisconsin added to their lead with a single tally. David Fry walked to open the frame and eventually scored on a Manuel Rodriguez wild pitch.
The LumberKings continue their four-game series with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers with game two on Sunday afternoon. Clinton will throw righty Jake Walters (5-4, 2.79) while Wisconsin will tap righty Adam Hill (6-8, 4.01). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
Come down to the ballpark and drink in the summer sun with the only day game of the homestand! See participating businesses in Carroll County as part of Carroll County Day at the ballpark.
Sunday home games fans can see the LumberKings rebrand to the Clinton Elotes. The LumberKings will wear special Elotes jerseys and hats that are available for purchase at the LumberYard team store at NelsonCorp Field.
In addition, all Sundays are "Family Funday Sundays." Bring the whole family and take part in free face painting, balloon artists, and postgame kids run the bases courtesy of the Children's Discovery Center.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Favorable Firsts - Great Lakes Loons
- Five-Run Fifth Helps Bandits Open Series with 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Blow Another Save, Get Walked Off In Iowa - Peoria Chiefs
- Winning Streak Stopped at Four - Clinton LumberKings
- Beloit Spoils Return Home - Burlington Bees
- Dragons One-Hit Captains - Lake County Captains
- Lugnuts Unable to Manage Loons' Mischief - Lansing Lugnuts
- Hot Rods Drop 2-1 Nail-Biter to Cubs to Open Series - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Three Dragons Pitchers Combine for One-Hit Shutout in 3-0 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cardiac Kernels Walk off against Chiefs - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Drop Series Opener at West Michigan - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Beat Clinton 4-1 to Pick Up Ground in Playoff Chase - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Byron Buxton to Rehab with Kernels Starting Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Saturday, August 24 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 24 at West Michigan (Game 129) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lopez Lifts Lugnuts in 10th, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Complete Sweep of Bees with 8-2 Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cubs Can't Complete Comeback and Drop Finale to Lugnuts 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Ex-Captain Cardenas Stuns Lake County - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.